Reaction score
Trophy No.
Anyone thought of getting one? - I'm really tempted

Think it would look great and help with the weight loss on the car

Anyone know the pro's and cons of them, or anyone who has one?

Also are they durable or do they scrach and show chips up

CheeRS

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting one as I needed a new bonnet anyway. Never got one in the end, but would have got it painted if I had got one.

Reaction score
Hmm not a bad idea.

I wonder how heavy the stock bonnet is?

If it is, say, 20kgs then this coupled with rear seats will net an easy 35-40kg of saving. That's pretty good considering the car is already under 1100kg from the factory...

I wonder what else could be done to get the car to 1000kg (or under!) ?

O.

Reaction score
My mate has an aluminium bonnet on his 172 cup and said that carbon fibre bonnets are often heavier than aluminium bonnets and are still prone to chipping...and also cost more to repair.

Reaction score
oliie said:
I wonder what else could be done to get the car to 1000kg (or under!) ?
Replace the seats, remove interior trim, remove abs, remove foglamps, remove PAS, remove electric windows, replace steering wheel, etc etc.

One big problem with CF bonnets is they arent usually sturdy enough to fit the bonnet catch to, so you will need bonnet pins. Which isnt at all secure, so your insurers may throw a fit!

Day

Reaction score
The Aluminium bonnet on the early 172 is lighter than the Carbon ones available.

You want to buy yourself a manly car... like a subaru - so can check up on the sheep without having to take the John Deere... :lol:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Day said:
The Aluminium bonnet on the early 172 is lighter than the Carbon ones available.

You want to buy yourself a manly car... like a subaru - so can check up on the sheep without having to take the John Deere... :lol:

Yeah maybe - but they wont fit a trophy though! :D :D :D

Day

Reaction score
^ someone further up this thread has a mate with one on his 172 Cup... ;)

If a carbon one can be made I'm sure an alu one can.