Reaction score
Does anybody know the law when it comes to buying and selling imported cars.

Is a dealer legally obliged to tell you if the car you are buying is an import? If they do, what are the reprecussions if they fail to do so?

Any info is greatly appreciated...

Reaction score
I am not too sure on this area when looking for a Trophy my local dealer tried to sell me a Trophy but it's speedo was in kmh!! I stayed well away from this.

I d guess if it is second hand and they are not advertising as a non import then they would be ok - i presume!!

The onus is on the customer to validate history with a second hand car.

If it was a new car and they were advertising as a non import when it actually was then I believe you would have a right because what you have bought is not what you entered into the agreement to purchase. They have not honored their contract as they have sold you an item you did not set out to purchase.

Reaction score
trophy176 said:
The onus is on the customer to validate history with a second hand car.

I can understand that with a private sale, but surely buying from a dealer the same rules apply whether it's new or used?

Reaction score
The only avenue I can see would be in the advertising, if they were saying it was brand new UK car when in fact it is an import. Then there would be a legal right under contract law.

I would always hpi even if from a franchised dealer but I am cautious person.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
trophy176 said:
I am not too sure on this area when looking for a Trophy my local dealer tried to sell me a Trophy but it's speedo was in kmh!! I stayed well away from this.

? there's only 50 trophy's that should have KPH as the main dial on their speedo and they were all swiss cars - easily identified by their Recaro's (same as our back seats).

I do know a few of the swiss ones were imported into Japan - whether they changed the speedos to kph i don't know, if it's one of those had been imported into the UK it may be possible but i don't see the point in that when the main market for them was here.

Reaction score
Very strange. Apart from the fact all 50 of the Swiss Trophys were LEFT HAND DRIVE, they would be Swiss registered. WTF? They have a normal 'Cup' rear spoiler too, and no chin spoiler.

Are you sure he had a Trophy with a km/h gradated speedometer?

Reaction score
Yeah defo in kmph it was at Benfield Renault on Benfield road. Thing is it was right hand drive and looked exactly like a normal trophy apart from it did not have stickers on side.

Sat in it on two occasions and even showed my girlfriend who also pointed out the kmph.

Weird or what!!