Reaction score
I have my dampers booked in for a refurb on Tuesday as the passenger side is very soft and bouncy.

So today I took the dampers off ready to clean and send to BG motorosport. Once I got the passenger one off I discovered the following...

IMG_0218%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_0219%20(Medium).JPG

... looks as if the spring is fubar! You can't really tell from the pics but the top mount itself looks fine and it appears the spring has "unwound" itself and come away from the topmount.

As i mentioned before in a previous thread the dampers themselves look fine and have signs no leaking etc (excuse the dirt they obv havent been cleaned yet).

Based on this find I am going to cancel my refurb service and replace the spring. Is it wise to replace both even though the other one is fine?

Rich

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I don't thonk you need to buy another spring it just looks as though the top plate has worked it's way around to the wrong position. Take it to bit and re-assemble, you will need spring compressors really.
The thing is it could have worked it's way out of place because the damper is fubar'd.

Reaction score
Good point.

I have some spring compressors so will take it apart tomorrow and have a good look.

Cheers for the advice!

Reaction score
Just removed both springs and they are identical. Your theory about the damper being fubar'd appears to be correct.

Cancel the cancellation :oops:

Reaction score
.... Just to follow on from that I have now pushed down on both damper "piston" rods with the springs removed and the one does move and squeek whereas the other one doesn't budge.

See u in a few days dampers...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Good, well not good but atv least you know where you are and you should definately NOT be able to push the piston down by hand.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Good, well not good but atv least you know where you are and you should definately NOT be able to push the piston down by hand.

Well I was expecting the refurb cost so I am certainly no worse off.

Cheers for your help! Much appreciated :D

Reaction score
If you've gone to trouble of taking them off and planning to get them refurbished then think it definately was best to send away :)

Atleast you'll have a good as new handling trophy in a week or so :lol:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
See you soon eh dampers!!

Just finished taking mine off (first time since car was built) and they actually look ok - all solid to the best of my knowledge but not removed springs yet.

Hoping the new ball joints will resolve my knocking issues.

Bet you can't wait for refurb?

Reaction score
bearne1 said:
Bet you can't wait for refurb?

Dam right I can't wait! The car has been no where near as fun to drive for the last few weeks. They will be back on next saturday and will be going for a spirited drive Sunday.

Just hope this weather stays good!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Pressed down on mine with 2 hands (whilst damper was upside down) and seemed to move in freely, should they be mega tight then?

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
bearne1 said:
Pressed down on mine with 2 hands (whilst damper was upside down) and seemed to move in freely, should they be mega tight then?

You shouldn't be able to push down on them by hand.

Reaction score
Renaultsport said:
bearne1 said:

You shouldn't be able to push down on them by hand.

When I got mine back from BG last week they wouldnt budge! Back on the car now and all is well again. Can't believe the difference!