Reaction score
Wow just been to Renault to find out the cost of cam belt change with the service. Any one guess how much????. #-o
£1200.00 i thought my V6 clio cam belt was pricey!!!!

Reaction score
Thats well exspensive, Im away to renault on monday to get my suspension and dampers checked because the steering has been abit weird the past week, seems to pull to the right,

Reaction score
Hi only had the trophy about 4 weeks finding the car great fun !! dare i say much more than the v6.silly question i take it you have had tracking and tyre pressures checked.if so i hope its not the front shocks.

Reaction score
yeah i got the tracking checked and pressure. they were both spot on so it must be the dampers i would think. NOT GOOD, this might sound stupid but is the socks the dampers?

Reaction score
yes ive seen on here there are people that rebuild them .if you pust down on front wings does it bounce a bit?,if so then that could be your problem.im sure the guys on here are better than me on giving advise.what ever it is i wish you luck in getting it sorted.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
cam belt cost shouldn't be more than around £800 max... that's a rip off.

re suspension - let me know what the dealer says, i'd suspect tracking or maybe a track rod issue, could be damper (shock) related.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
The push down test does not really tell you much about the shocks other than if the seals have gone.

My cars handling was poor over the last few months, got the dampers serviced and its never handled so well since i bought her. One was low on pressure and the other had air in it. It never affected the steering though it always pulled in a straight line.

Could be a number of things, worn ball joint, wishbone bushes, track rod, shocks.

Does it still handle ok?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
BenG said:
The push down test does not really tell you much about the shocks other than if the seals have gone.

Mmm, i'm beginning to think this is not such a good test anymore, certainly some that have failed have gone very soft but a think the proof is now to be found in the handling pudding :)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
it's not exactly the most scientific of tests but if the front end is soft it's a good indication that the dampers are shot.

Reaction score
£800 from Renault but try an independant. Birchwood in/near Manchester have got a good reputation on cliosport.net and quoted me 400 but it is too far for me to travel.

Reaction score
i did the push down test and it feels solid at both sides, i even checked the back and that feels the same too,
i was also thinking that if it was the suspension the car would look abit lopsided but it doesnt soo i think i can rule that out,

Reaction score
I don't like the idea of doing a push test on the clio, with the suspension being so stiff and the wings being so squishy I think I know where the force will be going.

Birchdown definately do have a good reputation. The other option if you want a cheaper main dealer is taking a look at a thread on RS forum. One of the sales guys has negotiated discount with his service/parts dept, think its £580 for aux and cambelt to be done, then the service on top which would also be cheaper. It's a lot better than full Renault price. When I booked my 36k service with Renault online I checked the prices and they were saying £1300 for full 72k, I was a bit shocked.

Edit: I've just noticed where you're from. The 2 places I've mentioned are North West england so would be a fair trek, you'd have to root in a drive in the lakes on the way home to make it worthwhile.

Reaction score
bigphil did you buy the Trophy from the lotus dealer in edinburgh?

My 182 is off to a garage in Glasgow with a good rep so I ll report back on the service.