Reaction score
Tonight i went to the BP garage in shiremore, northeast, as i left i hit a pot hole on the exit of the forecourt, it felt like i had ran over a horse. Got about 300m down the road and knew a had a flat tyre, stopped and used 2 cans of tyre foam which just managed to get me home.
On inspecting the tyre found a split about 1inch long, then looked at the alloy and found a chunk about 1inch again missing.
Now absolutely foaming a got someone to take me back to the garage and took loads of pics of the hole, which was about 6inch deep, by 3 ft long and 1 ft wide, this was the deepest part but the whole exit of the garage has pot holes all along it, also took loads of pics of the wheel and tyre.
Went into the garage and the bloke behind the counter said i am the 5th person this has happened to this week, he said the hole is due to a burst pipe below it and it is down to northumbria water who were informed about this on Monday.
Anyway now that i have ranted on, if your using the BP Shiremoor garage use the car sales side for entry and exit.
I am going to fight this all the way, i want the money for a new wheel, new tyre, 2 cans of tyre foam, expenses for my partner getting to work and my wheels balanced and tracking done.

Reaction score
Bad news that like. By the sounds of it there will be a queue of people looking to have a go at the water board. Hope you manage to get it sorted out

Reaction score
Ive been on the phone all morning tryig to sort it, looks like its the highways i have to claim from. Im going to get it in my mates garage to see if there is any other damage, it doesnt look like there is but im going to claim for the wheel, tyre and tracking without a doubt.
Look at he hole, the damage to the wheel doesnt look that bad on the photo but it looks like it goes back under the tyre. :evil: :evil:
DSC00812.jpg
DSC00810.jpg
DSC00807.jpg

Reaction score
Not pretty at all.

That pothole looks pretty nasty. Think I will be avoiding that Filling station in future and use the total one at the top. Prefer Nectar points from BP but not at the expense of Tyres and Wheels !

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Get onto to the local council - i'm 90% sure it's them or 10% sure it may be the highways agency.

They should replace both the wheel and tyre. If it's on the front then double check the damper.

Reaction score
Im getting a tyre fitted today and then it going to the garage to get checked over.

Ive been onto the local council and they put me onto the highway dept of the council, who said they were informed about this hole at the begining of the week but havent been able to get anyone out to look at it, the woman on the phone more or less said its their fault as it should have been fixed, she also said any repairs i make will be fully refunded as long as i send all the reciepts and photos of the work and damage.

How much is a new wheel??

Reaction score
g40steve said:
Most tyre places won't touch that now.

Its a garage my mate works at and they are going to put a new tyre on so i can drive it down for them to look at it, im not going through my insurance just yet coz my excess is £400 and it might not even cost that much to fix.
If the damper is broke then i might have to go through insurance.

Lets hope its just the tyre, if the wheel is ok i might just get it refurbished, if not then new wheel also.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Wheels are about £125 each, i'd be getting a new one to put on the front with the damaged one as a spare, swopping the non damaged front tyre onto the damaged wheel and getting two new boots for the front.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Wheels are about £125 each, i'd be getting a new one to put on the front with the damaged one as a spare, swopping the non damaged front tyre onto the damaged wheel and getting two new boots for the front.

That was my thinking but im very strapped for cash at the moment.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
By the way sorry to hear of your troubles, it's so gut churning when something goes wrong.
Think you've got to look at it in the long term, i wouldn't really want tyres with different wear on the front, by all accounts the performance of worn PE2's tails off quite a lot towards the wear markers.
And you are effectively getting a spare for the price of a new tyre when the council decide to cough up.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
By the way sorry to hear of your troubles, it's so gut churning when something goes wrong.
Think you've got to look at it in the long term, i wouldn't really want tyres with different wear on the front, by all accounts the performance of worn PE2's tails off quite a lot towards the wear markers.
And you are effectively getting a spare for the price of a new tyre when the council decide to cough up.

Would love to but like i said totally skint at the moment, anyway the tyres on the front have only been on for about 7 weeks so i will just wait till the oldest one is due to change then get them both done.
Getting the new one fitted tomorrow then off to the garage on saturday morning to get it checked out.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ah right, 7 weeks is nothing to worry about, hope there are no other problems.

Reaction score
Ive checked the damper etc myself and looks ok, also took measurements and compression, i.e. applied the same amount of pressure to each side of the front of the car and both sides feel and measure the same, had the tyre fitted today and going for a full check and four wheel alignment tomorrow, the car is pulling to the right when i take my hands off the wheel, hoopfully will all be sorted tomorrow.

Reaction score
scott said:
Im getting a tyre fitted today and then it going to the garage to get checked over.

Ive been onto the local council and they put me onto the highway dept of the council, who said they were informed about this hole at the begining of the week but havent been able to get anyone out to look at it, the woman on the phone more or less said its their fault as it should have been fixed, she also said any repairs i make will be fully refunded as long as i send all the reciepts and photos of the work and damage.

How much is a new wheel??

Got the letter from the local council back and after investigating it they have decided it was Northumbria Waters fault due to a leaking toby below the hole so now im having to claim from them. Sending the letter off tomorrow so fingers crossed all will be payed out soon. The cost of repairs made it up to £440 or something.

New wheel, still to get.
Tyre.
Tracking.
Both bottom suspension arms.