al

Reaction score
I've got some Ring Ultra Xenon bulbs in my Clio.

An excellent upgrade and VERY bright :)

1158900031700_0d6_1.jpg

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
can you simply switch to xenon bulbs??? i thought you had to have xenon headlights fitted - which trophy's dont have.

Silvervisions are the only ones i've heard good reports about

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cue said:
can you simply switch to xenon bulbs???

I thought this too. I have upgraded to silvervisions, full beam def improvement not quiet so on dipped but unless you've got hands the size of a babies and you can dislocate your wrists at will it's almost not worth the hassle :)

Lee

Reaction score
They are H1 and H7.

I swapped my low beam for Osram Silverstars and the sidelights for Philips Blue vision (they give a white light which looked better against the xenons on my 182, they aren't blue), but that was purely cosmetic. Obviously I swapped the indicators for Philips silvervision too.

I've not bothered swapping the high beam as that's fine and rarely gets used anyway.

Got them all from: http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/

Reaction score
Trophy No.
:oops: Lee youre right and my post should read "upgraded to silverstar" for main/dipped.I did also changed my indicators for silvervisions.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cue said:
can you simply switch to xenon bulbs??? i thought you had to have xenon headlights fitted - which trophy's dont have.

Theres often confusion about this, the bulbs above are standard filament bulbs filled with Xenon gas which produces a whiter light than the more common halogen gas filled bulbs. Osram SIlverstars are Xenon bulbs for example.

When people talk about 'Xenons' as on the full fat 182, what they really mean is HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights which are totally different, and use very large voltages (but lower currents) to produce a spark arcing across a gap between two metal plates to produce light rather than a filament. They are also filled with Xenon gas, hence their nickname.

You can fit Xenon filament bulbs to any car, but 'Xenons' of the HID variety need charge packs and different bulbs and wiring etc. HID conversion kits are available for around £100 though.

Reaction score
Nik said:
Cue said:

Theres often confusion about this, the bulbs above are standard filament bulbs filled with Xenon gas which produces a whiter light than the more common halogen gas filled bulbs. Osram SIlverstars are Xenon bulbs for example.

When people talk about 'Xenons' as on the full fat 182, what they really mean is HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights which are totally different, and use very large voltages (but lower currents) to produce a spark arcing across a gap between two metal plates to produce light rather than a filament. They are also filled with Xenon gas, hence their nickname.

You can fit Xenon filament bulbs to any car, but 'Xenons' of the HID variety need charge packs and different bulbs and wiring etc. HID conversion kits are available for around £100 though.

...and what a stunning 1500th post it was, I wanted to say this but couldn't be bothered and wouldn't have put it so eloquently or with the same level of technical precision, HID's being nicknamed Xenons (When in fact they can use any of a number of Metal Halides) causes most of this confusion, although i think manfacturers like to confuse people into thinking they are buying Xenon headlamps!

Cue's catching up on you (and me) fast Nik! If he gets too close we'll have to delete him for spamming!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
lol, funny you should say that Steve i was just looking at the top post count - can't believe either of us are that high up after a few months.

Reaction score
HID kits for £100, that sounds like a worthwhile spend versus bulb replacement, or have I got it wrong?
Where can I go and check them out.
Thanks

Reaction score
Cue said:
lol, funny you should say that Steve i was just looking at the top post count - can't believe either of us are that high up after a few months.

Youre all over me like a cheap suit! Once this planning application's outta the way, I might have to engage in some hardcore counter-spamming, can't have you beating me to 1000 posts!

Reaction score
Im just intending to replace the dipped beam, i know the bulbs are H1 and H7 but which one is the dipped?

Getting conflicting info, the PIAA website says the dipped is H1 but ive read elsewhere its the H7!

Anyone clear this up for me before i order some bulbs?

Also, do you think it would be worth upgrading the foglight bulbs too? ive never been a fan of fogs, prefer driving lights that have more range so just wondered if putting brigher bulbs in the fogs would improve things.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
can only comment on the fogs soz, but brighte bulbs aint all that good in Fog - it'll cause more of a white wall effect then dimmer bulbs, hense why driving with just dipped is better although for others to see you they're better.

That's why you shouldn't use full bean in Fog.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
trophycabinet said:
Im just intending to replace the dipped beam, i know the bulbs are H1 and H7 but which one is the dipped?

Didn't listen to me then? :wink:
if you can wait tiil tomorrow i can check which is which for you.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
trophycabinet said:
Nice one :)

Having looked at the car i recon its the H7?

Sorry a day late but yes you're right H7's are the dipped. They're a bit bigger than the full beam with a grey cap. Mine cost just under £20 for the pair. The trophy has osram's fitted so upgrade to silverstar or whatever depending on make. Good luck with the fitting it's a pain in the arse. :)