Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
We are about to leave NTL as they are wank... I was looking at moving to SKY... Anyone got anything good or bad to say about them? Or suggest anyone else?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i'm on sky, can't complain - i've not had a bad experience. For home broadband i'd look at Sky, the rest, especially BT are a nightmare when anything goes wrong.

Reaction score
Depending on your area sky will be miles cheeper than BT, only problems i've heard of are the wireless adapters are'nt up to much and email facilities are pants.

Most sky will charge is £17pm, BT usually charge about £25pm

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
When you say wirelss adaptors do you mean the thing you can by to turn a laptop/desktop wireless?

I was looking to get the deal where they give you a free wireless router as the laptops i have at home are all wireless. If the then wanted to get a desktop on wireless do i need to go for their adaptor or will any WIFI one do?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Renaultsport said:
When you say wirelss adaptors do you mean the thing you can by to turn a laptop/desktop wireless?

I was looking to get the deal where they give you a free wireless router as the laptops i have at home are all wireless. If the then wanted to get a desktop on wireless do i need to go for their adaptor or will any WIFI one do?

my home router is wireless - sky gave it to me for free plus i don't pay a penny more for broadband or telephone calls. £35 pm inc sky sports... :)

Reaction score
I changed to Sky a few weeks ago to a 8mb connection, speeds are pretty close to that as well (6-7.5) Line set up quickly , wireless router turned up and off you go. Much easier to set up than my previous provider AOL .

Reaction score
In order to get into the home broadband market SKY bought over a small internet service provider to get them started - when the service was initially launched there were a lot of bad reports around - basically the kit they had in place couldnt cope with the amount of new users and the general demands on the system. Also the customer service was pretty pants if you hit any problems. This was a little while back now and i'd hope things would be better but it might be worth doing a bit more homework to be on the safe side.

Carphone Warehouse and Orange offer quite attractive deals - even some 'free' deals. Again due to the demand if you encounter problems apparently it can be a bit of a chore trying to get them resolved. Guess its part of the trade off.

I've been with Virgin Broadband for a couple of years now and would recommend you condsider them as an option too.

Reaction score
Cue said:
my home router is wireless - sky gave it to me for free plus i don't pay a penny more for broadband or telephone calls. £35 pm inc sky sports... :)

That, my friend, is a bargain!

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Cool Hand Luke said:
Virgin Broadband for a couple of years now and would recommend you condsider them as an option too.

We've been with NTL for years and now they are Virgin Media. As NTL screwed us about a few years back they said we didn't have to pay line rental :) however Virgin now was £40 a month when previously is worked out to be about £20ish for line rental and broadband...

That SKY deal you have certainly is a bargain! Where to i sign!? 8)

Reaction score
here's the sky bumf:

"base"
monthly fee £0(nowt), activation fee £40, monthly usage 2gb, speed 2mb tops
"mid"
monthly fee £5, activation fee £20, monthly usage 40gb, speed 8mb tops
"max" (one u want)
monthly fee £10, activation fee £0(nowt) monthly usage unlimited, speed 16mb tops

or if u are outside network coverage

"connect"
monthly fee £17, activation fee £40, monthly usage 40gb, speed 8mb tops

Wireless netgear kit u get when you sign up, u get sky.com email addresses (dont bother using) 12 months free mcafee security(dont bother using either).

Reaction score
Do you need to be an existing Sky TV or phone customer to get those prices mentioned above? £10 a month sounds pretty good for uncapped 16mb broadband.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
From what i can see on their site... anyones plus BT line rental - £11ish

Reaction score
You must subscribe to sky tv(between £16-£45pm) and have a bt phone line (£11pm rental), you can also get sky talk for cheeper phone bills compaired with bt(£5pm).

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
if they bugger up your installation (my house move was as messed up as they come) you can also get 1/2 price sky for 12 months :) took a bit of negotiating though.