Reaction score
Time has come to insure, tax and test my trophy. The car has passed its MOT but I've been advised that the front disks and pads could do with replacing. The car has only done 10k miles but the disks have corroded, due possibly to sticking pads. Naturally, the dealers said the warranty would not cover the work and that they would charge £270 to replace both disks and pads. A quick search reveals that a lot of owners upgrade, with Brembo disks and Ferodo DS2500 pads seeming to be a popular choice. According to Yozzasport's website the DS2500's are for track use and suggest that they can squeal at low speeds. For road use they recommend green stuff but say that these are not for use on track. I've only done road miles so far but would like the option of taking the car on track. Any other recommendations? I was leaning towards the Brembo's, Ferodo's and Goodridge lines but wondered what your experiences were - do they squeal? has anyone had the unfortunate experience of making an inurance claim only to find that they were not covered due to having track pads fitted to their road car? Absolute worse case scenario, of course.
Had my insurance renewal through the post from Bell and am not going to be taking them up on their quote of £830 (32yrs old, 12 years without a claim, protected bonus). Got it down to £430 using price comparison sites, then £397 with Greenlight which seems more like it. I know that Greenlight are good for mods/track cover but do they offer protected bonus etc? and has anyone made a claim through them? Also, do you need to inform your insurer about the disks, pads and lines? Phew! Thanks for reading!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I went with the Brembo, Pagid RS4-2 and Goodridge. I'd describe them as fast road as although they benefit from having some heat in them they will work very well from cold, they sometimes squeal a little at low speeds (a lot less than i was expecting) the trick is to remove the shims and liberal use of copper grease.
Greenlight are fine with the mods i have done you just need to make sure you always tell them everything.
Btw i have about 6 yrs protected with them, takes the price up a little but obviously worth it.

Reaction score
Greenlight are very good with mods etc
They protected my NCB on the 182 with disclosed springs.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I use Brembo grooved disks and Mintex pads at the min. They do tend to squeal under light breaking, you have to copper grease the backing plates, that pretty much solves the problem. There totally fine for the road (but probably rubbish on track) ?!

I would say, due to the ratings on here, Brembo grooved disks, Ferodo's and Goodridge lines are a v/good fast road/track set up. you wont go wrong !

In my oppinion, if you had a crash and had to make a claim, I doubt they would even notice the pads. Best to insure any mod though, especially with greenlight, it will cost you next to nothing.

Reaction score
I have the pagid pads, brembo max discs and braded lines fitted by Yozzasport- great package!. I delacred the upgraded brakes to my insures, tesco. There was no addional cost over my standard premium. Also there was no extra cost when i fitted my maxogen unit to. Pretty good deal methinks!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Jimboss said:
I delacred the upgraded brakes to my insures, tesco. There was no addional cost over my standard premium. Also there was no extra cost when i fitted my maxogen unit to. Pretty good deal methinks!

Wow, thats good. I am surprised.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
just got my renewal through - it's gone up from last year... bit mystified as i thought the older you get the lower it is if you don't claim......

Reaction score
Cue said:
just got my renewal through - it's gone up from last year... bit mystified as i thought the older you get the lower it is if you don't claim......

When i bought the trophy and transferred the insurance from my 205 I was told that when the renewal was due it would cost around £500. I thought this seemed expensive but the £830 they quoted recently is laughable considering my age and experience. Oh well, at least some companies are willing to reward claim free drivers. Good luck with shopping around and finding a good deal. Who are you with at the moment?

Reaction score
Jimboss wrote:
I delacred the upgraded brakes to my insures, tesco. There was no addional cost over my standard premium. Also there was no extra cost when i fitted my maxogen unit to. Pretty good deal methinks!

Wow, thats good. I am surprised.

i spoke to the lady on the phone nicely :D

in all fairness when i declared the exaust they added 15% power increase to the car. When it came to declaring my maxogen i said that there was no way the exaust would cause that power increase. I said if anything the combined power increase was approx 5% max we settled at 10% and there was no extra charge. the brakes came before the maxogen and in all honesty there was no change in price as they didnt think that it made the car go faster!I have checked my policy document and it says extras: stainless steel exaust, upgraded brakes and pads and upgraded air induction system. Always worth checking they got the right end of the stick following your phone call!

Im 27 full NCB with missus on there costs a shade under £700.00 all in

Reaction score
Cue said:

I just got my renewal through from Admiral.. £750 - up from last year I'm sure!!! That's with a policy limited to 7k miles, no mods and only one claim in the dim distant past. I've turned 25 since my last renewal - surely the cost of insurance should go down from here?!?!?!?! (swear) :-s

Reaction score
I got my insurance renewal through yesterday, £724 which was a bit of a shock. I'm with Liverpool Victoria, might not be very soon.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just did a Confused search as a matter of interest, I only got 4 quotes from a list of insurers that must be 50 long including tesco. Yes the car is modified but i'm a darn sight older than most of you guys with a licence that has been spotless for years with 6,7,8 years no claims, i shall be sticking with Greenlight.
BTW £415 was cheapest, £820 the most expensive.

Reaction score
Jimboss said:
Jimboss wrote:
Im 27 full NCB with missus on there costs a shade under £700.00 all in

:shock:
Really???

I know mine is a 182 & not the Trophy, but my renewal this year with the missus now added was only £400.
I'm 28 with FNCB.

Would the difference bewteen the 182 & Trophy to for an insurance co. warranty all that extra premium?

Reaction score
All sorted!!!! Renewed my insurance through Greenlight at a cost of £429 with protected NCB and all the forthcoming brake improvements recorded. They were really nice to deal with and the quote includes extras such as track day cover for £50 per session at all UK circuits (Excluding Castle Coombe).
On the subject of brakes I've been reading everyone's comments and have been scouring the web and have gone for Brembo Max HC disks with the Pagid RS4-2 pads and Goodridge braided hoses along with dot 5.1 fluid. Its gonna cost a little more than I'd originally planned but should provide some seriously improved stopping power. Should be getting them fitted next week . Thanks for your input folks =D>

Reaction score
Trophy No.
That seems to be about the standard price they charge everyone :)
Who's fitting them? Make sure they don't refit the shims and that they spread loads of copper grease on each end of the pad and they shouldn't make any noise most of the time.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Who's fitting them? Make sure they don't refit the shims and that they spread loads of copper grease on each end of the pad and they shouldn't make any noise most of the time.

V Sport in Boldon, not too far from where I live, are supplying and fitting the parts. They have worked on a friends car and he said he was impressed with what they had done. He can supply the parts for about the same as Yozzasport but the delivery charge for all of the bits would be pretty steep if I went through them. I'll definately mention what you've said though regarding the shims and copper grease though. Are the shims fitted to the car as standard and are they behind the pads or the disks?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Alexei said:
hoolio said:

V Sport in Boldon, not too far from where I live, are supplying and fitting the parts. They have worked on a friends car and he said he was impressed with what they had done. He can supply the parts for about the same as Yozzasport but the delivery charge for all of the bits would be pretty steep if I went through them. I'll definately mention what you've said though regarding the shims and copper grease though. Are the shims fitted to the car as standard and are they behind the pads or the disks?

Been pondering this all morning, i can't remember exactly :oops: , when you think of shims you think of a thin plate about the same shape as the pad between the pad and caliper but all i seem to remember are some spring clip type bits of silver metal on the end of the pads , i'll check when i get home, unless anyone can remember.