Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
......I noticed a post by T23PHY (i think that's right) on cliosport.net about having his car permagarded (spot on stuff) and noticed brake disk rust.

My trophy suffers from the worst disk rust I have ever had on a car - If it's parked for a couple of days It'll bind on. Anyone else noticed this??

Reaction score
It's just oxidisation of the metal... nothing to worry about :)

O.

Reaction score
Cue said:
......I noticed a post by T23PHY (i think that's right) on cliosport.net about having his car permagarded (spot on stuff) and noticed brake disk rust.

My trophy suffers from the worst disk rust I have ever had on a car - If it's parked for a couple of days It'll bind on. Anyone else noticed this??

yeah when i got back to the car and took them pic's it hadn't been moved after cleaning, my disc's always rust up once it's been cleaned. nothing too much to worry about

Reaction score
Cue said:

Mine does it all the time mate, has done since day one. You just get used to having to "unstick" the brakes.

I think there are previous posts on this, both on here and on Cliosport. Seems it happens to a lot of people. As Ollie suggests, I just don't worry about it.

Reaction score
Every car on the planet that has ferrous (steel) brake discs will get surface rust on them. Unless you have carbon-ceramic brakes or never get water (or water vapour) near your car, you will get rusty brakes. If you notice, you can roll a few metres down the road, apply the brakes once and it's gone. Fe + H2O + O = Fe2O3

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
not to this extent though, the BMW gets rust yeh, but this happens whenever there's moisture in the air, instantaneous.

Was just curious as I though the disks were cheap or something, was going to switch for some cross drilled.

Reaction score
Cue said:
Was just curious as I though the disks were cheap or something, was going to switch for some cross drilled.

I think the discs are undoubtedly cheap but I wouldn't blame this for them rusting - my previous Honda was just as bad if not worse. I don't think corrosion protection is a great factor when the manufacturers select disc material. A bit of surface rust won't do any harm at all - it'll be removed in the first application of the brakes.

If you do change the discs I would choose a grooved set rather than cross drilled - drilled discs are prone to cracking when used hard. It can also be argued that a grooved disc keeps the pad "clean" and helps prevent pad glazing.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
fazedesign said:
Cue said:

I think the discs are undoubtedly cheap but I wouldn't blame this for them rusting - my previous Honda was just as bad if not worse. I don't think corrosion protection is a great factor when the manufacturers select disc material. A bit of surface rust won't do any harm at all - it'll be removed in the first application of the brakes.

If you do change the discs I would choose a grooved set rather than cross drilled - drilled discs are prone to cracking when used hard. It can also be argued that a grooved disc keeps the pad "clean" and helps prevent pad glazing.

Good tip, cheers