ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
20060430_Nurburgring_198-800.jpg

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah the track had been closed for a while because the Zakspeed Viper had had an incident with a bike. When it reopened it was a bit mad for a while.

Reaction score
great photos. How many laps did you do?

Am loving the yellow clio. Nik was that a 172 or 182? I really really really want to build a clio like that.

Day

Reaction score
Looked like an ex cup racer, bit of a hybrid as it had different parts all over it.

Reaction score
Great photos - makes me want to go back there so badly! Does not look as though it was too busy as well, which is always a bonus.

How did the Trophy hold up? Am I right in saying you have been before in your old 172? If so, how was the comparison between the two?

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah, i went last June in the 172, the week before it got traded in for the Trophy. As I think i've mentioned before, the handling of the 172 had gone off badly, it was dangerously twitchy at the rear (supected rear shock failure). The difference in the Trophy compared to that is massive, it felt very predictable and controlable. Pushing hard you can hear the rear tyres chirp under braking and then just point it into the corner and power through, it felt perfectly balanced.

I decided to fit the bullet cam for the last day. I only managed to film one lap before it started raining / snowing. Got held up a few times, badly on the long uphill section, so i could have been a fair bit faster but worked out about 9.30 BTG. Its good to have something to study before going out there next time as there's lots of time to be gained.

Video is here: http://crowspeed.net/videos/ringtrip06/ringlap.mov (85mb)

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Tell me about it !

Even a trip down the pub at lunch seemed a bit flat without the Bitburger and cheesy euro dance remixes playing in the background. :cry:

I was thinking about track days earlier, and to be honest i cant be bothered to do any more at the moment..... everything sort of pales into insignificance compared to driving the ring. I mean why would you want to spend a day driving round the 4 corners of Brands Indy after that :(

Reaction score
Exactly!

Apologies for the copy and paste but:

If you are interested the pictures I took are here: http://www.pinhighdesign.co.uk/gallery/nurburg06

General clips from Monday are here (featuring Dave at some point):http://crowspeed.net/videos/ringtrip06/ringclips.mov

Lap in the Hertz Focus estate ring taxi 4 up is here: http://crowspeed.net/videos/ringtrip...y_06_focus.mov (warning slightly scienic pace)

Had a great weekend, if slightly fustrating! A stone went through the Elise's radiator on Thursday evening on the second lap of the weekend. We spent all of Friday in garages and on the phone to AA brakedown and the car is being recovered home (in anywhere up to 3 weeks time!) as there were no parts in Germany. The AA through Hertz lent us the Focus which was dire slow, but we grew quite attached to it! 3 days and 1200kms later we gave it back in Dunkerque slightly worse for wear...

Day

Reaction score
At least if you are at work your mindset is elsewhere.

Mine is some 450 miles away...

Reaction score
Awesome looks like great fun! video from the bullet cam looks and sounds great 8)

Reaction score
Day said:
Looked like an ex cup racer, bit of a hybrid as it had different parts all over it.

I've started a slippery slope to financial ruin and by that i mean i've started contacting the clio cup racing teams asking if they are selling their cars at the end of the season (as the new ones are due for 07)

Downloading your video now nik. I'm loving trackdays at the moment. In fact im addicted to them. So if a conventional trackday is boring after the ring i really really really need to get to the ring :)

Day

Reaction score
I've an ex karting friend who was looking into buying one but because of the sequential box it's not eligible for a lot of saloon/hatch series unfortunately :(

Reaction score
Nik said:
I decided to fit the bullet cam for the last day. I only managed to film one lap before it started raining / snowing. Got held up a few times, badly on the long uphill section, so i could have been a fair bit faster but worked out about 9.30 BTG. Its good to have something to study before going out there next time as there's lots of time to be gained.

Video is here: http://crowspeed.net/videos/ringtrip06/ringlap.mov (85mb)

Great lap Nik! Nice clean lines and pretty damn committed too! Lap did not seem too busy either, despite the hold up on the fast uphill section, I had heard the 'Ring was getting too busy for it to still be fun, but your video proves otherwise! Wish I had not cancelled my hotel now, should have gone out even on my own...

Gotta quickly say that the photo posted in your second post is pure class, who took the picture?