Reaction score
I'm sure this is probably on here guys but does anyone know if the AST top mounts fit the Sachs struts? If so do they need drilling?

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Yes they do fit and don't require drilling. I'm looking to purchase some in the next day or so to go nicely with my damper refurb thats booked in :)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Tim, did you manage to get a ride in a T with them fitted then? It's going to be me wanting to have a good look at yours now :) Can you fly some pictures over when you get them and a quick explanation as to fitting etc. I seem to have solved the problem with the movement on one of my Combrake but i'm no longer happy with them, as in my confidence in them has gone so looking to change.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Sure can. I've not yet had the chance to go out in one with STM but I'm going to take the chance, with the improved steering response I can avoid pot holes better! Plus my Reno mounts are making horrid noises when turning. The noise I was hearing whilst turning at low speed seems to be the top mounts and I don't really want to replace them with OEM onces made of cheese. :D

If I can, I'll take photos as I am fitting them to make a little guide. I plan to take the dampers off the car this weekend, take them to BG Motorsport next week as I have a week off in the hope they can get them done quicker, if not I have them booked in with them for the 17th and then I will put it all back together with the STMs :)

Once I've done them we can meet up sometime if you want and I'll give you the exhaust mounts too!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Good stuff, I'm off next week and will be around though will be busy with the GT turbo and T. You've got my number haven't you? You're welcome to pop by for a brew.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Good stuff, I'm off next week and will be around though will be busy with the GT turbo and T. You've got my number haven't you? You're welcome to pop by for a brew.

Can I pop over for a brew too? :)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
marrow said:
hoolio said:

Must get bigger pot.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
marrow said:
hoolio said:

BTW you're welcome but is Cambs "popping" distance.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
hoolio said:
marrow said:
hoolio said:

BTW you're welcome but is Cambs "popping" distance.

J - I should be in the area Monday if you're about.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Gonna be hungover from watching the charidee shield but I won't make any plans, will txt you home and garage post codes.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of them

[attachment=3:246pop80]STM1.jpg[/attachment:246pop80]

[attachment=2:246pop80]STM8.jpg[/attachment:246pop80]

[attachment=1:246pop80]STM2.jpg[/attachment:246pop80]

[attachment=0:246pop80]STM4.jpg[/attachment:246pop80]

Attachments

• STM1.jpg
    STM1.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 225
  • STM8.jpg
    STM8.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 9
  • STM2.jpg
    STM2.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 222
  • STM4.jpg
    STM4.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 223
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ah, I see now. I'm guessing the all of the main part is fitted to the damper inside the turret and then that smaller orange disc then is bolted to the main part on top of the turret?????????????????????

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Nope. Everything apart from the small black disc is ontop of the turret. This is the way it apperently works:

1. Damper
2. Spring
3. Top hat to hold spring
4. Black disk (picture 3)
5. Through turret
6. All of the orange STM
7. nut shown in the last picture
8. No fecking idea what the 3 bolts are for

So far I;ve not fitted them to the car as I can't see how they adjust camber. The car is currently with a garage for them to see (its a friend who does all sorts of motorsport) and he wasn't sure how they would adjust anything.

I'm confused.com

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Erm, that cannot be correct because A. how do you keep the spring compressed when fitting the damper? B. the little black disc will be sitting flat on the top hat which mean the weught of the car is effectively being taken by the top hat which is wrong.

Reaction score
The adjustment is done by rotating the top mount in the strut housing of the car as it's concentric. So you have to make a choice between castor & camber adjustment with them, hence why I went for the K-tec ones as I prefer to change camber with the bolts and leave castor as is.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Right that confirms what I was thinking, as you move the top of the damper in and out you also move it backwards and forwards?

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Still no idea what the 3 bolts do. Think I may return them and stick to OEM for a bit.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I think they just secure the top and bottom parts of the stm together either side of the top and underneath of the turret.