Ashers' OEM+ BG Trophy Project

Reaction score
I'm also very impressed with your shiny black knob (fnar fnar). How does it attach, is it just screwed on? I'm keen to tidy mine up, but what colour to go for...?

Reaction score
Are black 182's not full fat spec ( 54mm hole spacing on struts ) whereas sachs are 60mm? hope im wrong for your sake

Reaction score
Ash, great effort mate.
In some ways it makes way more sense financially to buy a 182 and trophy spec it. If you change your mind you can always flip the shocks and seats for pretty much what you invest in them and then only have a 182 to try and sell. You will always sell a v6 spoiler too, no matter what colour you paint it.

Are black 182's not full fat spec ( 54mm hole spacing on struts ) whereas sachs are 60mm? hope im wrong for your sake 

Not sure what on earth your tying to convey with that one.
Full fat spec would be 60mm spacing. Colour is irrelevant as far as being cup or non cup, full fat, non full fat, half fat ect. That is except RB and Inferno which were not available in 54mm spec.

Reaction score
wait for my Koni rear shocks and springs to arrive from Mark Fish, and then the suspension can all be fitted.

Interesting conversion. Great colour, love black cars. As the correct Sachs will be available soon from Renault are you choosing the Koni's due to cost or because you want the variable damping adjustment they provide?

Have you managed to track down a V6 spoiler yet too?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks for all the nice comments chaps. Appreciated.

I'm also very impressed with your shiny black knob (fnar fnar). How does it attach, is it just screwed on? I'm keen to tidy mine up, but what colour to go for...?

It doesn't screw on, as it is not threaded. But when I got my shifter mechanism, I pulled quite hard and it came off. I'm not sure if they are meant to come off? Sure I have read it is virtually impossible to get them off. But someone must have got the one on mine off in the past, looks to possibly be glued on? Mine is a nice tight fit though and needs a fair bit of force to remove it, so it fits snugly and won't have any problems when fitted in the car. On a Trophy, I would suggest silver or anthracite (to match the wheels)!

Interesting conversion. Great colour, love black cars. As the correct Sachs will be available soon from Renault are you choosing the Koni's due to cost or because you want the variable damping adjustment they provide?

Have you managed to track down a V6 spoiler yet too?

There were a few reasons which resulted in me going for Koni's. I saw the thread on the rear Sachs on here and was going to go for them. But seeing as I was going to use Mark Fish springs anyway, a popular upgrade is to use the Koni's he stocks. Plus it was considerably cheaper for a pair of Koni's compared to what the Sachs will be. Plus as you mention, you get some adjustability with the Koni's. I was still considering going for the Sachs despite all of this, but the final thing that made me go Koni was the last post in the Sachs thread which mentions there is now no date for when they will be available, due to a hold up at Sachs' end. I'm sure it won't be that long before they become available, but I just decided on Koni's in the end.

Haven't got a V6 spoiler yet no. There is a black Clio V6 255 breaking on eBay at the moment. Perfect as it wouldn't need spraying either for my car. I enquired about it, and he wants £250 no offers. Just a bit too much for me at present, would like one though. I know it's still a fairly good price compared to the quote I got from Renault a couple weeks ago for one!

Reaction score
Great car,love what your doing with it and in my eyes will be the best real world 182 around,that v6 spoiler would set it off a treat!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Great car,love what your doing with it and in my eyes will be the best real world 182 around,that v6 spoiler would set it off a treat!

Thanks mate :) yes I would love a V6 spoiler. Definitely on the list!

So I got the Sabelt wheel fitted yesterday. Popped down to my local Maplin first to pick up a couple of 3.9ohm resistors to keep the airbag warning light off, for a grand total of 78p! Wish all parts were that cheap!! Removed the old wheel, removed the Ph2 stalk, got my Ph1 stalk fitted with no dramas, and then bolted up the K-Tec hub. Fitted the resistors, and then the moment of truth to connect the battery and start her up, to see if the warning lights were on or not...

IMG_2919_zpspy03u5mv.jpg

IMG_2920_zpskhxlfq4r.jpg

IMG_2921_zpscgeuayvv.jpg

IMG_2922_zpsinpb3sww.jpg

Result! I have to admit that when I went out for a drive after, I noticed the 'SERV' light and airbag light did come on for a short while. Then I unbolted the wheel again and had a play with the resistors again, which I think were not in far enough, and the lights have not been on again since, so fingers crossed that's all sorted now.

So, so, so much better to drive with! I've always maintained on all my cars, that a change of steering wheel can make one of the biggest differences to driving a car. Sad as it sounds, I'm finding any excuse to go for a drive just to have my hands around that wheel! Epic mod!

How it looks (looks even better in the flesh)...

IMG_2923_zpshqg6uja9.jpg

IMG_2925_zpsc1b3uro0.jpg

Stupidly, I put all the trim back together around the steering wheel before checking the 'auto-cancel' on the indicators work. Which of course they don't, typically. Basically, there is a part inside the stalk that just needs swapping out from my Ph2 stalk and into the Ph1 stalk, pretty simple. Probably will be a job for today as it's a pain in the arse having to think about turning the indicator off!

Oh, and yes I know there is a bolt missing in the steering wheel! I need to source another set unless I can find somewhere that sells one individually. Alternatively, if anybody on here has a single bolt they would be willing to sell me, or even a set, let me know!

Also my Eibach camber bolts turned up yesterday, eBay bargain at £10 delivered and they are brand new (no pic but we all know how they look).

Reaction score
Good choice with the rear Koni's. I think they will be a better match to the Mark Fish springs and essential if you want to adjust the fronts at all.
Love the steering wheel but it would be nice If you could get a pad in the centre for a little peace of mind.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
On Tuesday evening, I went and picked up a decat pipe for a very reasonable price of £25. Thought I would give one a go, and if I don't like it then I can always swap the original cat back in.

IMG_2954_zpsrk7dtoac.jpg

A set of bullets came up for sale from Simon at Spray Shack, Anthracite with '2.0 16v' in black. Very similar to the ones I already had on, just the '2.0 16v' was in blue. In my eyes these just look better on a BG and am much happier with the look. Suffice to say, the other smoothed pair are currently for sale!

IMG_2955_zpst1jaztno.jpg

Car was booked in with Mike at Rentech yesterday, and had the following work done:

Front discs and pads fitted (Brembo High Carbon and Ferodo DS2500)
Rear discs, pads, hub nuts, spacers fitted (Genuine Renault)
KTR braided hoses fitted
Brake fluid flush with ATE fluid
Ph1 Shifter with Yanoo Adjustable Stiff Shift fitted
Gearbox oil changed
New gear gaiter
Decat pipe fitted
Annoying rattle from heat shield sorted

Was pretty excited when I got the call from Mike to say the car was all done and ready to pick up!

Love how my Ph1 shifter looks, especially with the gear knob which I had sprayed in Black Gold. Only problem so far is it is a bit squeaky when moving the shifter. I think it is because the Yanoo stiff shift kit is too tight, you can adjust it via 4 allen screws so you can choose how stiff you want it to be when selecting gear. So a job for today is to slacken it off slightly to see if this reduces the squeaking, which I hope it does.

IMG_2957_zpsu3vvo6xu.jpg

IMG_2958_zps3eandsq8.jpg

Pic of the brakes...

IMG_2960_zpsyczx4d6v.jpg

As for the decat being fitted, happy with it so far. I was worried it would be much louder on idle which would be a pain for the neighbours. But, I have to say, whilst I can detect it is slightly louder, it's not really noticeable so I am pleased with that. However, when you are giving it some, it is quite noticeable and makes a lovely raspy sounds at the top of the rev range. Really liking it actually, but as I say if I get tired of it then I'll just put the cat back on.

Had a call from Mark Fish on Wednesday to say rear Koni's and his springs were ready, so I am hoping they might arrive today. If not early next week, and that will be all my suspension parts bought ready to be fitted.

Jobs for today on this fine weekend:

Adjust tightness of shifter
Swap over the mechanism from my original indicator stalk to the Ph1 stalk, so I get auto-cancel indicators again
Refit the resistors behind the wheel for airbag, so the warning lights don't come and go intermittently
Give her a well deserved clean, inside and out! Looking a state at the moment!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
So I swapped over the mechanism from my Ph2 stalk into the Ph1 stalk, and auto-cancel indicators are now working again. Sorted!

Also refitted the airbag resistors and taped up all the plugs sitting inside the hub just to ensure none touch each other. Airbag warning light has been off all weekend since doing this so think that is sorted also now.

Gave her a clean on the inside today, took me a couple of hours, and is the first time I have touched the interior since having her! I also found out from meeting a knowledgable Clio guy, that my car has Trophy door sills, as opposed to the normal 182 ones. I have read before that some of the last 182s produced had the Recaro's fitted as standard and were fully specced up, almost as like a run out edition. Mine are factory fit Recaro's (not donated from Trophy) so maybe the sills were also fitted to very late 182s? Anyway, interior is now looking mint, a lot better than it shows in the pics.

IMG_2969_zpsxdjc5wd7.jpg

IMG_2971_zpsrk1j3v7g.jpg

IMG_2974_zps0hz3k8ab.jpg

Only other thing I wanted to do this weekend was sort out my squeaky gear shifter. Had a go at loosening the Yanoo adjustable housing, but made no difference. It is a bit quieter when cold, and I don't always notice it now as I have my music at a loudish volume, but it can be annoying. Took a video to show what it is like. Sounds worse in the video than it actually is, but anybody else experienced this from fitting the adjustable Yanoo Stiff Shift kit? Can only think it needs greasing a bit more? Bought it second hand and didn't grease it anymore before fitting it. Very happy with it though, gets rid of the play and no more wobbling gear shift! Great piece of kit.

th_IMG_2961_zpssea9jbnh.jpg

Reaction score
Ash you have the car looking really well!

Regarding the squeaky shifter - spray some white grease over the plastic ball. This should help.
Also is there a possibility the the squeaking is coming from another part of the shifter? I'm asking this because at the very bottom of the gearstick, where it bolts onto the selector linkage, (you will be able to see this from underneath the car) the bush is replaced with a brass one as part of the yanoo kit and if the bolt is retightened too much it can cause the shift to become very tight and could well cause it to squeak.
I'm speaking from experience on this one!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks Mark, appreciated!

By the way, your advice re taping up the resistors and airbag plugs worked. Got round to doing that at the weekend, and lights have all stayed off since. I think resistors might have been coming loose slightly from vibrating and potentially shorting out. All good now though.

I will give the white grease stuff a go. Guess this can be bought from Halfords and the like?

I had Mike at Rentech fit it for me on Friday, and when I gave it to him it has brass bushes at the bottom. However, I remember him saying he came across some sort of issue when fitting with the brass bushes, so he just fitted the standard bushes instead. So this would potentially rule out the squeaking coming from there? The shift itself is perfect, and when I undid the 4 allen screws slightly it loosened it up nicely and it was really easy to get into gear. Not overly tight I wouldn't say.

Would it just be a case of lifting gaiter, and just spraying this grease over the ball inside the housing?

Cheers for the help.

Reaction score
Glad you got the airbag lights fixed!

Yes you can get the white grease from halfords or most diy stores. Usually referred to as 'white lithium grease' and yes it's just a case of lifting the gaiter and spraying it over the plastic ball from there.
Hope it helps.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
So I had a delivery from Mark Fish today... can not bloody wait to get all this fitted along with the Trophy dampers and all the rest of my suspension parts!

IMG_2976_zpsb2uvxk7t.jpg

IMG_2977_zps0j2fyk4s.jpg

IMG_2978_zpsxyjbhjiw.jpg

Reaction score
Having seen this car I can say it looks lovely, the shifter is a very nice touch in BG, and when it's dropped a little on the MF springs it is going to look so much more aggressive, I'm really looking forward to seeing the after pictures.

It was a pleasure to meet you, Ash, the car as it stands, along with your vision and how you're modifying it are a real credit to you.

I think you should be given honorary Trophy membership with #501 ;)

Tim

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Having seen this car I can say it looks lovely, the shifter is a very nice touch in BG, and when it's dropped a little on the MF springs it is going to look so much more aggressive, I'm really looking forward to seeing the after pictures.

It was a pleasure to meet you, Ash, the car as it stands, along with your vision and how you're modifying it are a real credit to you.

I think you should be given honorary Trophy membership with #501 ;)

Tim

Thanks for the very generous comments Tim. Was a pleasure to meet you too, very nice example of a Trophy you have. Hope to see you at future meets soon, and thanks for making me want an RS2 inlet even more!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Not a great deal to update with in this last week.

The last parts I needed for my suspension refresh were a pair of wishbones. Cheapest I have seen a pair of genuine ones for is from a Renault Parts supplier on eBay at £100 posted for the pair which is a very reasonable price.

I was going to purchase a pair until I saw a member on ClioSport breaking his race car, and he had a pair of wishbones already fitted with Powerflex bushes which have apparently only seen a couple of events. Considering I have all the other Powerflex bushes ready to fit apart from the wishbone ones (which are about £100 for the whole set for both wishbones), I thought I might as well go this route instead as everything will then be Powerflex. So I went and picked these up today.

After doing some research, it appears that you can not buy the ball joints separate from Renault. K-Tec list them separate, but they are £70 for a pair including postage! After even more research, I managed to discover that Renault Scenic Mk1 (up to 2003) ball joints (which Renault do sell separate) appear to be the same as the 172/182 ones. I did a search on Euro Car Parts on my reg, and made a note of the part number for the Lemforder ball joints they sell, making sure they were the correct 12mm ones. I then did a search on a 2002 Scenic, and checked the part number of the ball joints, and it was exactly the same. To double check, I then went onto the 'Meyle' catalogue and did the same thing, and sure enough the ball joints listed for my car and the Scenic shared the same part number again.

I know Lemforder are said to be good, but Febi Bilstein are the preferred choice for me (OE Quality) if available. After doing a search, Febi do list a ball joint for the Scenic, but strangely do not list anything for a Clio 182. However, based on the cross referencing I did above via ECP and Meyle, I managed to deduce that the Febi ones for the Scenic should fit just fine.

So I then set about searching for a pair of Febi ball joints for a Scenic, which brought me here... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301393001669?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

So that is £19.84 delivered for a pair of Febi ball joints, which I have just ordered. Add that to what I paid for the second hand wishbones with Powerflex bushes fitted, and it comes to a fair bit cheaper than the £100 I would have spent on a pair of new genuine wishbones, so I'm happy with that!

I will report back once the ball joints arrive to confirm they fit ok, but I am very confident they will be just fine! Pic of wishbones I picked up today...

IMG_3076_zps4eueqh6x.jpg

Only other thing I have done is change the bonnet/slam panel rubber seal. Mine was split virtually all the way along like so....

IMG_3072_zpsc7sfhvpt.jpg

So I bought a new one via a Group Buy over on ClioSport. Very reasonable price (£12 posted) and a good quality product, highly recommended! It arrived this morning, and so I got it fitted straight away. Very happy, and looks so much better!

IMG_3075_zpsk0dqcskq.jpg

That's all for now.