Reaction score
Went to see Yozza this morning for some new brakes......not really tested them yet but they did a good job. 8)
So when I got home I thought i'd make my dampers adjustable. Tried to remove the grub screw from the drivers side and it would not budge. Even after plenty of easing fluid and a couple of hours soaking. Passenger side wound out a piece of cake! :roll:

So the question is can I get a new 'red knob' so I can skilfully butcher the stuck one off?
Any info people?

Cheers!!

Reaction score
Got the very same problem myself, decided against 'butchering it off' as I don't think replacement parts are readily available.

Decided to leave it until the time for the overhaul, get them to remove the screw

Reaction score
Parts should be available.

On a previous car I had a set of PSS9 adjustable coilovers and I lost the adjusting dial.

Found out who distributed Bilstein in the UK, spoke to them and had the part within a few days.

I think it was 'donkey' on here who was talking to Sach's or one of there approved dealers about damper re-builds? I reckon he should be able to point you in the right direction?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Street and Dave, if you get a solution to this let me know - my drivers side won't budge either... even Ben @ Angelworks couldn't move it!

I think the grub screw is glued.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far guys, it would be great if we could get the part as it seems there are quite a few of us with the same problem. Bet the cheeky boogers have glued them. Sure we'll get there in the end. :idea: Can't believe i've only just thought of this....wonder if the adjuster dial of my Spax would be any use?

Reaction score
I was going to say, perhaps any dial would do in the mean time, they're not exactly a quality item anyway, pretty horrible casting, compared to the quality of a Fox Float bike shock anyway.

It seems a lot of people's dials were glued, the inconsistency is strange though, leads one to believe that they might have been glued by certain UK dealers after leaving the factory. I wouldn't worry too much, the best setting for the road is the standard 'in the middle' setting. Take a lumpy road fast with them dialed up and you'll know what I mean - hit a bump mid corner and it knocks you off line, quite scary. I'd only start drilling/pulling apart the dampers if you're taking it on track.

Reaction score
You may have a point about certain dealers glueing them!

I notice Streetfighter's reg is aYR55 - same as mine - guessing they came from the same dealership?

Reaction score
Sorry steve but definitely not from Beverely unless you use a different alphabet :wink:
YR Y Yorkshire R Sheffield

Bought mine new in Doncaster, how about you Dave?

Steve...I know exactly what your saying. I would really like to soften it a bit for everyday driving and then harder again for track. I think a lot of the time the roads I drive just shows the suspension is too hard.

Reaction score
Yeah the YR is Sheffield, I just didn't wanna pi$$ on Steve's fire :lol:

My car came from Doncaster too, got it brought up to me on a wagon

Reaction score
Shit just kill me I spent 3 milliseconds looking at which one it was whilst pasting the link in for everyones info and picked Bevely instead of Sheffield. It's a fucker having to hold down a job as well as waste time on this forum!

Reaction score
Steve said:
**** just kill me I spent 3 milliseconds looking at which one it was whilst pasting the link in for everyones info and picked Bevely instead of Sheffield. It's a **** having to hold down a job as well as waste time on this forum!

Perhaps 1 day i'll have a job where I don't get chance to waste time on't tinterweb :roll:

Reaction score
7MAT said:
Just a though - could you not soak it in some nail varnish remover as this breaks down glue?

I think I may have gone past the point of no return.....alan key was pretty loose when I started trying to get it out.
Good idea but might it depend on what type of glue it is or would it work anyway?
Can't even look in to where the screw is because it's perfectly in line with the strut, otherwise i would have more options. Perhaps!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
g40steve said:
If the allen key is about to slip, get a set of torx & use them instead.

I tried this............. and failed. The screw needs to be drilled out unless I can get it loose enough that the minimal grip there is to be had is useful enough to unscrew it.

Reaction score
I think there is no option but to get spare parts in my situation if I want to make the struts adjustable. I cannot drill it out as the hole is exactly in line with the strut body and a torx won't move it. If someone wanted to create the most awkward situation to stop any aftermarket fettling, they've done it to me! :cry:

Reaction score
The grub screw on mine was so tight when I tried to turn it with allen key it just rounded off!

So me being me, I brayed a Torx bit into it with a hammer and tried to get it out - snapped the Torx bit! Had to dig out the snapped bit, took me ages!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Are all the glued ones on the same side or is it completely arbitrary?