Reaction score
I'm going to look at an '05 with 22k on the clock in a couple of hours at a local garage, they reckon it's 24/500. I don't see it registered here so maybe not a forum user but just thought it was worth a quick check.

Also, being new to this model is there anything I should be looking for? I guess the 3 year service history, am I right that the aux belt is done at year 3 if the milage is below 36K (not sure on the cam belt??).

Thanks,
Richard.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
No not on here, obviously check the service history, there has been a big discussion on here recently re the cam belt and the general consensus is that yes it really should be done at around three years along with the aux belt even though Reno recommend 5. Also check front and back dampers for any oily residue and the front corners of the car really should be rock solid when you push down on them. But 22K sounds good.

Reaction score
Cheers, I'll see what belts have been done and keep an eye out for those lovely sachs dampers looking oily at the front, good thinking on pushing the front corners down, probably wouldn't have done that.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
It's really unlikely that the Cam belt would have been done as it's not part of the service schedule but would be a bonus if it has as it will show that's it's been very well cared for as will at least 2 or 3 oil changes. The pushing down on the corners is not infallible but the springs are quite soft so it's a good indication, any leakage (if you're really unlucky i should add) looks like a darker "stain" in the dust on the damper. Other little niggles, creaky steering on full lock and engine mounts.

Reaction score
Just back from a drive of it, suspension seemed fine, lovely and compliant over the bumps out on the drive and firm to the bounce (ooo errr). It did have creaky steering on full lock, is that a problem or simply a feature to live with? Apart from that it looked an honest car that had been reasonably well looked after although not 'enthusiast' owned I would think. Aux belt done as per service schedule, next service dues this June.

Seemed on the whole a pretty tight package that felt like the 22000 miles are cetainly genuine, i fact it rattles and shakes a lot less than my 10000 mile 08 Scoob STI!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Not sure if "feature" is the correct word :) but clio's do seem to suffer, there are some cheap fixes available. Sounds like a good one dependant on the price, circa £7250?

Seem to be lots of ppl looking at the moment, next thing we know the prices will be rising :wink:

Reaction score
£6995 for this one, which from a dealer isn't too bad, although makes me wonder what they must have paid for it??? Someone kinda gave it away.

Reaction score
I wasn't sure on advertising rules, plus I don't wanna lose out to someone else haha... it's a garage outside Clitheroe in the north west.

Reaction score
No, although I think they have one in currently. It's a small place called Smallbone I think.

Reaction score
I wouldn't describe it as creaky, but from cold when on full lock (to get out of my drive) sometimes the front wheels would feel like they were slipping/skipping/knocking - I am guessing this is what you are on about? I was concerned too but people told me its not uncommon. Only ever did it straight from cold.

Are you buying this car then or seeing another?

Reaction score
Yeah, I suspect it is as you describe, full lock and the car was stone cold - just the tight turn out of the forecourt.

But I don't think I'm going to go with this, I'm a bit torn which route to go and as I'm looking for a 2nd car for mainly track days/weekends I think I may start with a cheaper 182 and perhaps focus it a lot more for track work (and enjoy tinkering getting it how I want). I certainly wouldn't want to mess with a Trophy as they seem such a good base to begin with and my thinking is the Trophy is the ideal car for both road and track use but I really would get most use from the track element and would miss not really being able to fiddle/tweak/tune.

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
There is still a lot of tweaking to be done on a standard T, a lot of us have spent a lot! If you want a track car see my comments in the thread on #40 but there is still a lot of potential for a weekend/occasional track car, lots on here do track their T's

Reaction score
rich_y2 said:
Yeah, I suspect it is as you describe, full lock and the car was stone cold - just the tight turn out of the forecourt.

But I don't think I'm going to go with this, I'm a bit torn which route to go and as I'm looking for a 2nd car for mainly track days/weekends I think I may start with a cheaper 182 and perhaps focus it a lot more for track work (and enjoy tinkering getting it how I want). I certainly wouldn't want to mess with a Trophy as they seem such a good base to begin with and my thinking is the Trophy is the ideal car for both road and track use but I really would get most use from the track element and would miss not really being able to fiddle/tweak/tune.

Thanks for the help.

It depends how far you want to go. If you want a car for track then get a 172 Cup!

You said it yourself, trophies are a great base to begin with - and its not like they are new anymore, they are all out of warranty now. You can tinker with the trophy, its the same car just better to start with.

What you should factor in is that with a 182 a set of H&R coilovers (which you will no doubt go with if any) will be £1000 for supply, fit and set-up. With the trophy £100 for some camber correction bolts, fitted and having increased camber set-up will get it handling every bit aswell as a full set of coilies on a 182 and thats £900 of the price difference between buying a 182 and Trophy saved already. And then you will want better seats with a 182 (but not the trophy) which is another £1000. And the 182 has heavy wheels with not much air cooling, the trophy has much better standard wheels.

Get the trophy: front brake kit, track wheels with R888's and increased camber set-up will have you flying round any circuit.