Reaction score
A quick question I wonder if anyone could help me with. I have a small problem with 104 :(

Symptoms:
- Under hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd I get a noise from under the car, seems to be below and between footwells, once past maybe 4,500 rpm.
- But doesn't happen if I accelerate slowly in 1st and 2nd depspite ending up at same revs.
- Doesn't happen in apart from in 1st and 2nd gears.
- Car seems unaffected apart from noise.

I recall a post by someone about heat shields, it being a "common" problem. Wondered if related..

Any ideas heat shield or otherwise would be much appreciated :)

On an unrelated subject, to all who posted on various the wiper stalk topics, my thanks. Switched my over at the weekend (no small task for a bean counter... ) how much better is that; no 1 gripe solved :D

Reaction score
What type of noise is it? If it is a rattling or buzzing type sound then it is most probably the heatshields. Have you had a look under the car to see if anything has come out of place?

Reaction score
Sam said:
Wip it to the local dealer, sounds like an engine mount!!!

PM: Lee, i know he's been to our local dealers for a simlar issue..

Thanks Sam, your post galvanised me into action. I think it is the heatshield, but if I'm wrong and your right :shock: it doesn't bear thinking about.

Spoke to Renault Slough today, they were most helpful (did I really just write that!) popping in tomorrow to take an RTE for a drive to demonstrate the noise. My previous experience of doing this (with passenger seat rattle) got things sorted. So fingers crossed..

Does anyone know the low-down on after market heatshields? (Assuming problem is heatshield of course) I recall someone commenting one can get better than the Renault standard part/s.

Reaction score
sounds like the banging on wheelspin to me.

As the wheels spin, they try to take everything else with them causing a horrible noise when hammering it in 1st/2nd.

Happened even more when i put my Eagle F1 tyres on :(

Reaction score
iain_c said:
not the banging on wheelspin?

Interesting. I had wondered that myself, based on the fact the tyres were a bit past there best (that scenic route through the Eiffel mountains being to blame :) ) so changed them for a new set of boots (PE2's), still had the same problem. Also problem happens in second gear aswell, towards top of rev range when one is doing >50mph, so I concluded wheelspin wasn't the cause.

I try to avoid spinning the wheels; not very good for ones car or tyres to my mind. Not really "cricket" if that makes any sense.

Thanks for pondering on the matter none the less :)

Reaction score
fUbAr said:
sounds like the banging on wheelspin to me.

As the wheels spin, they try to take everything else with them causing a horrible noise when hammering it in 1st/2nd.

Happened even more when i put my Eagle F1 tyres on :(

I never experienced the same problem during 24,000 miles of full fat 182 motoring or indeed for the first maybe 5,000 Trophy miles; and I have to concede I did spin the fronts once or twice in both cars. Noises are quite different I think. Will post again after seeing Renault Slough.

I quite liked F1's (on the Cooper), but then again wheelspin isn't an issue with Coopers, a few less ponies to cope with..

Reaction score
Renault Slough seem to have sorted things out. A new centre box in the exhaust and associated heat shield, under warranty making it even nicer :D
They also sorted an intermittant temp sensor issue that developed over the weekend; I took a video of the needle when it was going wrong with my mobile (actually it was my passenger) which seemed to help. Did I read that tip on here? Tar if so.
So the "old girl" is in fine form again...

Reaction score
Great news, glad to hear you got it sorted, and that it was the heatshields/exhaust and not the engine mounts, they can be a real pain in the arse!

Reaction score
Neophyte said:
; I took a video of the needle when it was going wrong with my mobile (actually it was my passenger) which seemed to help. Did I read that tip on here? Tar if so.
So the "old girl" is in fine form again...

That was my 'Top Tip'. They can't argue with the evidence! Glad at least someone thinks im helpful. :roll:

Reaction score
i've got a buzzing noise coming from the under the car on the passenger side. Only happens when i back off the accelerator. When i press down on the accelerator the noise is gone! Could this to be the heatshield?

Day

Reaction score
4k rattle - Renault short code for "your exhaust is about to disintergrate"

Reaction score
wigstar1 said:
That was my 'Top Tip'. They can't argue with the evidence! Glad at least someone thinks im helpful. :roll:

I owe you one old bean. I'm sure I am not alone in appreciating your input by the way...

Reaction score
jezza l said:
i've got a buzzing noise coming from the under the car on the passenger side. Only happens when i back off the accelerator. When i press down on the accelerator the noise is gone! Could this to be the heatshield?

Doesn't sound exactly like the problem I had, mine only happened when I was properly on the loud pedal, and in 1st and 2nd gear only. Having said which my (limited ) understanding is that the heatshields are not exactly the best part of the mk2 Clio design.

Is it worth a trip to the dealers? On the subject of which I always make sure I am extremely polite and as helpful as possible; this shouldn't make a difference but it seems to have a significant positive effect.

Good luck wiith resolving.