Reaction score
As per the topic titled, my intermittent problem with my water/coolant temp gague have now developed into a constant issue, and now the car does not ever register the correct temp - which at least should make it easier for the technicians to identify the problem!

Will get the car booked in tomorrow, just hope I can get it back (and fixed) in time for the RR day on Saturday! [-o<

For the people that have already had this problem, what success did you have with the dealerships being able to fix this problem?

Reaction score
Good luck mate. Get in delivered to them on the back of an AA truck!!!

Nothing like a broken down brand new motor parked outside the dealership to give them some motivation. . . .

I refused to drive mine when the temp sensor went completely. Started to run badly and cut out. It will all be free of charge under Renault Assistance and they will supply a courtesy car too. They don't like having to pay for the courtesy car fro any longer than they have to, hence speedier service!

Everybody's Happy. :D

Reaction score
hello there, im a mechainc at reno wolverhampton, you will be needing a temp sensor and plug fitting

Reaction score
Thanks Ian, the techies at my local dealership seem to know so little about the R'sport Clio's it is normally a case of having to tell them what they need to look at! :wink:

I've had this issue off and on for a while, and as it was an intermittent problem, I just knew that when I would take it Reno it would act fine, always seems to be the case! Over the past couple of days it has been a constant problem, jumping up and down between zero and normal operating temp, and now it is just sitting at rock bottom. Car is running badly, erratic idle and jumpy throttle, but has not cut out yet...

Just hate leaving my car at the dealers, always have the fear that something else is going to go wrong whilst it is in their hands.

Reaction score
yeah it will run rough, probably over fuel as it see's in correct water temp, and trys to componsate for cold conditions, whens its actually warm, techs at reno dealers arnt all bad you know!

Reaction score
Guy's at my dealership were spot on really, but i had researched the problem on Cliosport so i knew what to say to them!

Reaction score
I had the same problem with the temp gauge, the engine never cut out, no lumpy idle, just a dancing needle. The local dealer saw my in-car phone video ( tip for that found on this site, thanks! ) and replaced the temp sensor within a couple of hours.
Temp gauge was fine afterwards, but haven't taken it on any long journeys yet to see if it's really cured. Fingers crossed that this is a fault that goes away for good.

Reaction score
:D Of course I was not implying all techies at Reno are bad, but my local dealership is pretty shocking, I take my Reno's to a different dealership over 30 miles away when servicing is due as they let me wait there while they work on the cars, but for warranty issues when I have to leave the car there it can be a bit inconvienient.

The local dealers have let me down in the past, failed to fix problems, tried to overcharge me and even damaged a friends car whilst it was being worked on. I know deep down that I shouldn't go there at all but it is just so easy as they are only down the road from me, and I want to try and get this problem fixed by the weekend.

Appreciate that there are some techies who know what they are doing and actually enjoy it, just don't know of any near me! Don't suppose you fancy moving down to Surrey do you Ian!?!

Reaction score
Car is booked in for Thursday, and I have been told that I should have it back on the same day. :D

I'll post again when I have collected the car...

Reaction score
Mine went last night, had to call out the AA. Got it booked in for next wednesday in Colchester. Place in chelmsford where i bought the car wouldn't give me a courtesy car. The AA chap said had dodgy oxygen sensor too. oooo errrrr.
Fingers crossed will all be fixed soon.

Mine was running really lumpy, strong smell of perrol and used lots of petrol. Cut out a few times. Seems to happen more when i slow down or ease off. Can i have a copy of the dancing temp gauge so i can show the dealer. Thanks,

Reaction score
they may show an oxygen sensor fault when the temp sensor fails, as it over fuels, and the oxygen sensor works over time and thinks its at fault, but its the temp sensor causing the problem if you see what i mean!

Reaction score
db - Have the AA taken your car away? Did it end up on flatbed like wigstar's did?

As you said in wiggy's original post - http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=561 a heartbreaking picture! Just hope I can get mine to the dealership before she packs up!

Attachments

• Flatbed.jpg
    Flatbed.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 470
Reaction score
Ian M said:
they may show an oxygen sensor fault when the temp sensor fails, as it over fuels, and the oxygen sensor works over time and thinks its at fault, but its the temp sensor causing the problem if you see what i mean!

Hi Ian - Thanks for your contributions! Nice to hear about the cars straight from the horses mouth so to speak (and have a point of reference if we think we are being bullshi**ed by a dealer!) I'm sure other members of the forum are similarly grateful for your input.

I haven't encountered the water temp sensor problems as yet, and hope I don't have to use your diagnosis any time soon!

Reaction score
fazedesign said:
Ian M said:

Hi Ian - Thanks for your contributions! Nice to hear about the cars straight from the horses mouth so to speak (and have a point of reference if we think we are being bullshi**ed by a dealer!) I'm sure other members of the forum are similarly grateful for your input.

I haven't encountered the water temp sensor problems as yet, and hope I don't have to use your diagnosis any time soon!

Thats what im here for, help you guys out, i dont own a trophy, but do have access to info, i work in our tech department along side 2 rte's one of which was crowned no 1 in the country! so hopefully one way or another il be able to help you guys out!

Reaction score
Ian M, slightly off subject, but as you are here, and your contributions are much appreciated, what do you know about the rattling passenger seat problem - the local dealers claim that it has not appeared on the Renault data base. Any help gratefully received - so thanks in advance

Reaction score
George K said:
Ian M, slightly off subject, but as you are here, and your contributions are much appreciated, what do you know about the rattling passenger seat problem - the local dealers claim that it has not appeared on the Renault data base. Any help gratefully received - so thanks in advance

no havnt seen anything as yet, but il check the database as soon as i get chance!

Reaction score
Picked the car up this afternoon, and so far so good! :D

Reaction score
George K said:

It seems I have this too... argggg!!!

O.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah, my passenger seat has rattled slightly from day one too.

So did the one in my 172 but much worse..... kind of learned to live with it in the end :?

Reaction score
Arrrghhh,

I've taken the Trophy in twice now. First time they had the car for a while and couldn't find a fault. Drove home from work today and the needle on the temp was dancing away like a good un. Took it to the garage and had to wait for a bit, when we took the car out the temp was fine.
I've noticed it happen when i ease off or slow down coming to a roundabout etc...
The engineer chap said to contact customer services. Any ideas.

:-(