Reaction score
Trophy No.
........noticed my Trophy has started doing this again like my old 172 which I read about some time ago and was led down the road of fitting the washers under the top mount rubbers.

Have not fitted these yet to the Trophy (may explore solid tops if problem cannot be resolved) but have a feeling this issue may be down to my 2 front tyres. My front PE2's are on the tread limit of 1.6 - 2mm :oops:

The problem is experienced especially when the roads are wet and today a friend got in the car and wondered what the noise was on full lock. It almost feels like the tyres are slipping / skidding rather than gripping.

Any help greatly appreciated, hoping it is just down to the tyres but who knows!

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if worn tyres produced the noise you describe, however the feel is probably due to that; top mounts would be my number 1 suspect after I changed the tyres ( which you need to do anyway I'd suggest).

Edit: maybe worth a geometry check at the same time ?

Reaction score
Sounds like top mounts to me, my T was exactly the same with poor tyres in the rain, never really worked out why it was worse in the rain though, i guess less grip means it's easier for the wheels to jump as such.

What's this you mention about fitting washers to your 172? I've got a 172 cup and EVERYTHING suspension wise has been replaced with standard renault items and on full lock and on tight bumpy corners the top mounts feel horrible, a lot worse than the Trophy ever did. Apart from fitting solid top mounts i've never really heard of any way around the problem.

Gman

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks for the replies.

I've had the dampers and ball joints replaced within the last 6 months and also had suspension setup done twice!

Will get new tyres and go from there.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
It is a strut top washer as standard on the V6 which apparently stops strut movement.

They are a few ££ for the pair but not sure if they really
make a difference.

Thanks