am i ok to drive

Reaction score
Got home from a weeks holiday. Started the clio this morning and left it to warm up.
When i came back to the car a couple of minutes later there was a fairly loud rattle from the engine bay.
Sounds like a bearing may have gone in something but I have no idea what so I am wondering if it could be anything to do with the cam belt or anything else catastrophic. The exhaust also seemed a little smokey although i didn't let the car get to full temperature as i was worried to let it run.
The car had a full cam belt service only a couple of K ago and is only on 60kish.
Video here https://youtu.be/VRnNbGC_4pE

Basically trying to figure out if it is safe to do the school run tomorrow before i get it to a garage.

Reaction score
The dephaser is part of the VVT system. It advances the inlet cam by 16 degrees along with engine oil feed.

When was the last time it had its belts changed? Due every 72k or 5 years, which ever comes first.

Reaction score
Cam belt was done in september along with dephaser. Is it possible for the dephaser to go so quickly?
Seems like either it isn't the dephaser or my well known (on here), very reliable Renault expert has been stiffing me.
This was a massive bill (including tracking that wasn't done, I straightened the steering wheel myself when i got home) and I am starting to lose faith in this company that I have used for the last 9 years.

If it is the dephaser, is the car safe to drive or would a failure be the same as a cam belt failure.

Cheers for the help.

Reaction score
If it's the dephaser, the car is safe to drive. But I'd personally get it sorted ASAP.
All you will notice is a loud noise. I've never actually known one completely fail.

It's mechanical, therefore parts can fail.

Take the engine mount off and see if the part appears 'new'.

Reaction score
I think I Know who you are talking about and I would talk to him. I would be very surprised if he has shortchanged you on parts, he has a fine reputation and knows how easily it's damaged by poor work.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
If the dephaser is on its way out it's usually worse when the engine gets warm. The rattling noise will disappear at around 1800 rpm or so.

Reaction score
Would you think I have a warranty claim here. Invoice date was 07/09/15 and I have done about 4000 miles.
Can the pulley be replaced on its own?

Reaction score
No, best practice is to replace belt as well and redo timing, probably get away with idlers but I would want them done.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If your a pikey then yes. If not, whats the extra price for belts while you've got them off anyways?
I'd get in contact with the garage and see what they say. If they supplied the parts, they can claim.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
It's best to talk to the guys who fitted it. If the dephaser has failed already then it has most likely been a faulty part or inadequately installed. I would be arguing that the garage fit a new kit if that's the case as it has done very few miles since being fitted.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I don't think thats a dephaser, Im going with a tensioner or a pulley.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help.
I will see if the sound goes when i rev it tomorrow.

Reaction score
And the winner was........ water pump.
All sorted.

Cheers for the help.