Reaction score
Trophy No.
It's that time of year again so i thought i'd find out what you've all been listening to this year.

I've really struggled to find much that i've really liked, lots of hotly anticipated new releases being a major disappointment but here are my three top albums of this year.

1. The last shadow puppets-Age of the understatement
2. The Kings of Leon-Only by the night
3. Fleet foxes-Fleet foxes

So whats been cheering your ears this year(must have been released 2008)

Reaction score
Slipknot - All hope is gone
Bullet for my Valentine - Scream Aim Fire
Disturbed - Indestructable

All Metal albums but my favorite of '08

Reaction score
I agree with you Hoolio, i dont think its been a great year for new music or even just music in general. One 2008 album that stands head and shoulders above the rest in my opinion is Fleet Foxes (even better live by the way) debut. I've put Kings of Leon on my top 3 too but feel their earlier stuff was stronger (1st two albums in particular) and liked them a bit more before they lost their 'rough edges' - i mean whats with the guitar sound in parts of track 1 & 4? Sounds more like Coldplay than Kings of Leon!?

1. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
2. Kings 0f Leon - Only By The Night
3. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Reaction score
Drew196 said:
Keith, I'm with you on Slipknots All Hope Is Gone.
Anybody going to see them at the M.E.N. tonight?
Should be a stormer!!

No was looking to go but . . .

You going, should be awsome live

Reaction score
Somewhere on the roads in North Yorkshire
Well it appears we have some metal heads :mrgreen: Perfect for fast Clio driving!

My top 3 would be:
1) Slipknot-All Hope is Gone (going on Friday to see em' in Sheffield 8) they are incredible live)
2) Parkway Drive- Horizons (Little known very heavy but melodic Aussie band-absolutely amazing cheap on I-Tunes)
3) Metallica- Death Magnetic (return to form for the gods of metal)

Other nods would be to 'All that remains', 'In Flames', 'Korn', 'Duffy' (yes that bird-great voice) 'Enter Shikari', Mushroom Head and all the free stuff from Nine Inch Nails.

Reaction score
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus Dig!!! [Pure genius, his 14th studio album and the years most copied title font]
Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid [Making Embrace seem a bit ordinary]
The Last Shadow Puppets - Age Of The Understatement [Let's spin that Scott Walker plastic haha.]

Reaction score
Some seriously heavy material chaps!
...I'm just rekindling my appreciation for the Bluetones... Am off to see them on the 19th - rather looking forward to that - they're such a feel good band. Also, Kula Shaker have made a return and their release this year; Strange Folk is excellent! Haven't been listening to new music in ages though..

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Don't think i've bought any for myself this year.... when was Newton Faulkners released?

:mrgreen:

Love the decat too much :)

Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
Some seriously heavy material chaps!
...I'm just rekindling my appreciation for the Bluetones... Am off to see them on the 19th - rather looking forward to that - they're such a feel good band. Also, Kula Shaker have made a return and their release this year; Strange Folk is excellent! Haven't been listening to new music in ages though..

Kula Shaker's new offering is most excellent, seen them a couple of times this year and on form as ever, I'm on your track quik5i1ver this year has more been about return of some good ole bands :D even the Smashing Pumpkins are back for when you want to r o c k :evil:

Reaction score
Another ks fan - cool!! I saw them in the early part of the yr at shepherds bush - they were awesome as ever - felt very nostalgic! They have another album coming but I believe it's been delayed?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cool Hand Luke said:
1. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
2. Kings 0f Leon - Only By The Night
3. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Have you been rooting around in my cd collection, both Bon Iver and elbow would have been in my top 5

artdealer said:
The Last Shadow Puppets - Age Of The Understatement [Let's spin that Scott Walker plastic haha.]

Does this mean we're getting old? :lol:

Strange that so many of the same names are cropping up, i even have a soft spot for the Bluetones :)

Reaction score
corneyman said:
My top three for the year are the albums from Late Of The Pier, Metronomy and Mercury Rev.
mercury rev...i didnt realise they had some new stuff out...saw them live a couple years ago, they were excellent
i liked the MGMT & Wombats albums from this year...

Reaction score
Son of Solo, new album and they've just been on tour. Saw them down the Academy in Leeds, mighty. Get the album but also check out the Fujiya & Miyagi remix of Senses On Fire, nice.

Reaction score
yeah i heard them doing some live stuff on radio 2 few weeks back, i should have realised they were plugging a new album...oh well.
maybe santa will drop one off, i'll ask the wife to remind him :D

Reaction score
Trophy No.
1. Black Keys - Strange times
2. Elbow
3. Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip - Angels

MGMT was a good album too. Didn't know Kula Shaker had a new album out, will have to get that one

Reaction score
Trophy No.
:? No new Kula Shaker yet, the last one was Strange Folk back in 2007. The most recent Mercury Rev is Snowflake midnight which came out in Sept.