Reaction score
Advice Please!!

Just had my car MOT'd today and the guy at the garage mentioned that he felt the front end a bit bouncy on the roads he took the car for a quick drive on. I said that I had noticed this recently too and asked him if he thought that there was a fault with the dampers, to which he replied that if there was it would have failed the MOT. Does anyone else have this sort of behaviour on rougher roads or is it something I need to have looked at by someone who knows/services the sachs dampers. I know that the car is crashy (ish) because of the harder suspension but this is definately bouncy.

Any advice would be very well recieved. Thanks!!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
It's pretty unlikely that he would know what they are supposed to be like, does sound a little odd. Take the wheels off and check for any obvious leaks or maybe any oily stains in the dust on the damper. Can you push down on the wings and make the car bounce, it shouldn't.

Reaction score
I had a similar problem. When I rocked the car, there was greater movement from the front near side and when going over some bumps, there would be a sort of clonk sound from the near side front. Turned out the that the damper was faulty/worn and the reservoir was covered in oily dust suggesting it had leaked. My car was still in warranty (1 week left!) and it was replaced on good will (shocks are wear and tear part) where renault covered 70% of the cost of replacement.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
+ 1 for the failed damper.

I found out the hard way, Going pretty fast in to a roundabout and the front end started bouncing like crazy. Not very fun at all ! :shock:

Reaction score
I can bounce the front end just by pushing the wings down. I'll get the wheels off tonight and see if there are any signs of leaking.

If there is a fault, how much am I looking at spending on a rebuild or replacement?