Reaction score
Hi all,

Last year I was looking for a Trophy as a trackday-toy, in the end I went for a modified VX220, now though the Clio-itch is back.

I've always been drawn towards the Trophy, rather than the Cup, but is it worth the premium if the car is to be used as a trackday-toy/daily driver? Is a Cup with a coilover setup and bucket seats a better tool on track or are the Sachs dampers a good choice for track driving?

On Pistonheads there's a Trophy on sale with a coilover setup, is that something to avoid?

Thx for your time

Reaction score
You only buy the Trophy for its dampers, so its pointless buying one without.

If you want a track only car, get a 172 cup and stick KW V2's on it. Will save you about £3k as well.

Sachs are great for road, but there is better stuff out there for track imho.

Reaction score
if you strip out the car which you'll likely do with a track toy, then the sachs setup isn't doing what it was made for. They're actually really nasty on a stripped out car on track

Reaction score
sideways danny said:
if you strip out the car which you'll likely do with a track toy, then the sachs setup isn't doing what it was made for. They're actually really nasty on a stripped out car on track

In what way Danny? Im supposed to be stripping mine out next week lol ...

Will be de-pinned & with Koni Rears though, so ill be able to mess about with damping rates.

Reaction score
Thanks for the useful replies guys, I'll look around for a nice Cup and use the extra cash to modify it.

Btw, as I read the seating in Clio's is quite high, does that pose a problem for tall people to fit with a helmet? I'm 193cm which should equal 6'7'' if I'm not mistaken.

Reaction score
Not sure if Danny is talking about the stock Trophy set up, but when i ran my old fully stripped out trophy with MF springs and koni's on the rear, it was not unbalanced at all, in fact for a car running a fixed ride height it was pretty good.

But like i say, i wonder if Danny is just talking about a stock set up car.

I was running 3 degrees negative on the front and 2.5 on the rear, not really road settings :wink:

Reaction score
Porker said:
Thanks for the useful replies guys, I'll look around for a nice Cup and use the extra cash to modify it.

Btw, as I read the seating in Clio's is quite high, does that pose a problem for tall people to fit with a helmet? I'm 193cm which should equal 6'7'' if I'm not mistaken.

I'm 6ft 7" and and I think thats more like 201cm not 193.. not worn a a trackday helmet in my car but I reckon my head would be rubbing the roof with one on, otherwise no issues size wise.

Reaction score
480bhp.com said:
But like i say, i wonder if Danny is just talking about a stock set up car.

precisely that, have to make some pretty major changes to make it right again. In honesty you're better off with a cheap 172 and some decent coilovers for a track toy

Reaction score
Well i was running my one rounds brands with an empty rear end standard setup and was great! Dampers not even depinned. I was having fun anyways! If anything i was getting understeer in the morning so dropped the front pressures a bit and sorted out the front no end. I found it quite nicely balaced with enough rear end movement to let you know the cars there. Suppose depends a bit on driving style.

Reaction score
I'd go one further than Eddy & say that with the Whiteline ARB fitted, & set to medium, the Trophy was pretty much ideal for me on track. Front end had enough grip, & the understeer i felt at Snetterton on the limit was replaced with a tendency for oversteer.

In fact id say that as it is, unless you can handle RWD it wouldnt be suitable, its a really twitchy little bastid now, perfect for what i want & comparable now with my old vts, which is effectively what i was trying to recreate :twisted:

Again, thats not unpinned, completely standard except the Whiteline, i wont be doing anything else to it.