Reaction score
Not a thread where I'm about to announce i'm selling 328..... I was involved in a crash 5 weeks ago which saw the car written off. In avoiding a car my side of the road on a country lane I managed to destroy a fence, avoid a house and end up resting on a railway sleeper in someone elses front garden.

The first piece of fence as the pictures show was pretty harmless enough, although my reactions must have kicked in to avoid the fence pole from the next section of picket fencing which came through the windscreen and finished up touching the back window, taking a chunk out of my neck as it passed.

I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story, I don't know the full damage to the car as I left the scene in am ambulance but i have been told there was major subframe damage amongst other cosmetic damage :

Day before the accident at Brands Hatch :
DSCF0101.jpg

Demolished fence :
005.jpg
006.jpg
011.jpg

Final resting place :
014.jpg
029.jpg
030.jpg
031.jpg
021.jpg

Some daylight piccies the next morning:
STA70461.jpg
STA70462.jpg
STA70481.jpg
STA70463.jpg
STA70477.jpg
STA70471.jpg

And the good news is I have found myself another Trophy which i'll hopefully be picking up in time for Christmas and T23PHY will be reborn! :D

2354.jpg

Reaction score
Geez, so glad you're ok buddy. What a nightmare. Really hope that it hasn't shaken you too much, sounds as though you're ok though having not 'gone diesel' and 'suv' on us.

goodbye 328, lets hope you rest in peace rather than turning up on cliosport in a months time 'good as new'

Reaction score
chiefbadger said:
Geez, so glad you're ok buddy. What a nightmare. Really hope that it hasn't shaken you too much, sounds as though you're ok though having not 'gone diesel' and 'suv' on us.

goodbye 328, lets hope you rest in peace rather than turning up on cliosport in a months time 'good as new'

without starting up the old argument about damaged repaired cars i personally didn't want it back so was quite glad when they told me it was beyond economic repair.

i had no hesitation in deciding i wanted a 182, whether i could afford another Trophy was dictated by the insurance payout and what it'd cost to insure another one.

all's just about ended well really, no long-term damage to me, as soon as i was fit enough and had movement back in my neck i was driving again

Reaction score
Bloody Hell! The airbag didn't deploy?! It looked nasty enough...
Now on a fun/trivial note are you gonna be the first ClioTrophy forum user to be in the Clio Registry for 2 cars? :wink:

Reaction score
No!!!!! Glad to hear you're OK. It looks like it could have been a lot worse for you...

Hope the pay-out is sufficient for another one :)

O.

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
Bloody Hell! The airbag didn't deploy?! It looked nasty enough...

the steering wheel ended up almost resting on my lap, i had little say in where the car ended up, i certainly didnt steer it

duffer987 said:
Now on a fun/trivial note are you gonna be the first ClioTrophy forum user to be in the Clio Registry for 2 cars? :wink:

I think Jordan might have beaten me to that as he had one stolen/recovered and the insurance paid out!v :?

Reaction score
F!cking hell, having seen those photos you are one lucky boy! Glad that you made it through it ok!

I can see this car ending up back on the road as there is so little outward damage....

Reaction score
fazedesign said:
F!cking hell, having seen those photos you are one lucky boy! Glad that you made it through it ok!

I can see this car ending up back on the road as there is so little outward damage....

although looking quite undamaged externally there must be some quite hefty damage underneath...... subframe i know was quite badly damaged, the exhaust front section and cat were all crushed...... i don't know full damage but was told they worked it out to be £12500 worth of damage, which i would second guess means that suspension was probably needing to be replaced too.

as i've said though, thats speculating as i havent been fully told what was damaged.

the cs vultures have already been pm'ing me asking for details so they can get various bits :evil:

Reaction score
I think a lot of the cost would be in labour, ie subframe replacement is probably an engine out job and a dash replacement won't be the work of a moment. At least the history will be documented on this site so hopefully no-one will have an unexpected shock in the future....

Reaction score
Glad to hear your alright.

Looks like a good replacement. :D

Maybe a sore point , but should we have a database of badly damaged cars.

Not small mishaps but major ones, 'write offs'

As a lot of people use CT to gain info, it may deter dodgey rebuilds & maybe even save someone buying a cut & shut (swear)

Reaction score
Really sorry to hear about the car Gareth, looks like a bad one. Glad to hear you werent badly injured - thats the most important thing - that and the fact you've found yourself a nice little replacement.

Just out of interest, were they able to identify the fool that caused the accident by driving on the wrong side of the road?

Reaction score
bc_seventy_six said:
Really sorry to hear about the car Gareth, looks like a bad one. Glad to hear you werent badly injured - thats the most important thing - that and the fact you've found yourself a nice little replacement

the fact i have been able to find a replacement and all being well that i'll get it at the weekend makes the troubled few weeks i've had since the accident better. that and the support i have had from friends and a girlfriend who has just been great. she's even lent me her liquid yellow 182 until i get the new car :D

bc_seventy_six said:
Just out of interest, were they able to identify the fool that caused the accident by driving on the wrong side of the road?

unfortunately i wsn't able to even remember what the car was, for someone who's such a big petrolhead like me it's a bit frustrating..... but at the same time i only remember certain parts of it still now and my memory seems to recollect avoiding the house and fence more than anything. now i have the payout it's a closed chapter as far as i'm concerned, with a happy ending too.

Reaction score
Gareth if you don't mind me asking was the gap big between the payout, and the cost of getting a replacement?

I've heard about this "top up" insurance before that makes sure if your car is a write-off that you actually have the money required to replace it, and since I got the Trophy I've been pondering about whether it'd be a good idea! (Not that I'm planning on wrecking it but you never know when some t**t is going to run you off the road like what happened to you)

Cheers :)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
1. glad your ok
2. how come it took a month to post?
3. thought of buying the car back to sell on for spares?
4. ouch

idea for Nik - is it possible to add a 'mark' against the cars in the owners section which we know have been crashed? something like a red cross next to the title of the thread? would be very useful for future owners.

Reaction score
Cue said:
how come it took a month to post?

i've been waiting to find out exactly what was going to happen with the car before posting anything. it was a little while after the accident that it was confirmed that the car was going to be a total loss and i have been waiting for a settlement and finding a new car before deciding to share it with everyone

Cue said:
thought of buying the car back to sell on for spares?

to be honest, i've been asked that a few times and have had no end of PM's on cliosport from people asking for various parts. From my point of view, having suffered with some nasty flashbacks i'm quite glad that everything has been sorted and a new Trophy is going to be my Xmas present :D

The last thing from a personal point of view i feel is to have the damaged Trophy outside my window each morning when i open my curtains. chapter closed as far as i'm concerned with me and 328 really and now looking forward to getting back behind the wheel of another :p

Reaction score
That looked very nasty and what a shame that the car is destroyed, but the most important thing is that you're alright.