A question about Sachs dampers

Reaction score
Apologies if this is "obvious" or common knowledge but if people could humour me I'd be grateful. I've been reflecting (as you do) on Sachs dampers. Most cars have had their's refurbished and its accepted as normal maintenance but there doesn't appear to be a single rule for when.

Looking at for sale ads and alike, some have been rebuilt as 30k miles some 60k miles, I think from reading Evo magazine Harry's was rebuilt about 17k miles... I'm putting that down to luck, driving style, track days, quality of the road surface etc. lots of variables - is there an accepted average?

My other query is, assuming 35k miles is the norm for the sake of argument, do cars need them rebuilt 2-3 times in their lieftimes? Again I ask because you see cars for sale with 90-120k miles on them quoting a rebuild, but would you not expect them to be 2+ rebuilds in if they only lasted 30k miles the first time? Does a rebuild enhance them to save future rebuilds? Sorry for constant questions, just trying to understand why 1 rebuild can stretch to 120k miles where a new car may need one within 30k miles to begin with.

Hope that makes sense, trying to get more savvy to things!

Thanks James

Reaction score
Unfortunately it does seem like pot (hole) luck how long they last. They are a motorsport item designed for motorsport teams to be rebuilt as and when. I personally bought my car on the strength they had been done but fully knowing that it could go pop anytime. I think there will be a time unfortunately when there will be more cars without them than with. Being fair a standard 182 isn't bad on a B road. And even higher end coil overs such as kW and billies can just about be had for a price of a Full Sachs refurb. So as the price of the cheaper trophies falls into the realms of owners who will struggle to afford the true maintenance costs of these. I can only see it happening more and more.

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I guess to my question will cars ultimately begin to need multiple rebuilds? I'm just curious that cars with 100k miles+ have only had 1 rebuild when they may of had the first 60k miles plus beforehand.

Im just seeing it as a service cost, and one to anticipate.

Reaction score
I think you nailed it when you started listing the variables, of which there are probably plenty more.

Who's to know but a car often driven 4-up in the cooler temperatures of northern Scotland on very poor surfaces, often in wet conditions on salty roads, not garaged, near the sea might only last 10k whereas one kept in a heated garage in Surrey, driven only on warm, dry days doing laps of the M25 might manage to clock up 100k before a failure.

Some owners have already been through multiple rebuilds already.

pot(hole) luck - very good!

Reaction score
I think you nailed it when you started listing the variables, of which there are probably plenty more.

Who's to know but a car often driven 4-up in the cooler temperatures of northern Scotland on very poor surfaces, often in wet conditions on salty roads, not garaged, near the sea might only last 10k whereas one kept in a heated garage in Surrey, driven only on warm, dry days doing laps of the M25 might manage to clock up 100k before a failure.

Some owners have already been through multiple rebuilds already.

pot(hole) luck - very good!

great feedback thank Claude - appreciate that

Reaction score
Yep, i plan on removing mine for the worst of winter. £80 set of 182 cup shocks and some sportlines (£125) will just increase my own. i may even get my second spare knackered set refurbed over winter and or do a comsetic refurb only on the currernt ones to save the metal.

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a pair of 182 cup shocks so I can take Sachs off to clean up/repaint and fit my spare set of oe Trophy springs to.

SoS

Reaction score
Will the Trophy springs fit the cup dampers? I mine were rebuilt 10k miles ago and at the MOT they advised a misting of oil, so they need to go back to be looked at.

I wouldnt refurbish unless they are gone, my original pair lasted 50k miles