Reaction score
In fact its probably more of a commuting dilemma, anyway - lets say you were the kind of person who commutes to work and uses the car as a bit of a toy for evenings and weekends and only does around 3-4 thousand miles a year.
You have also just bought a new car after searching for ages to find the right car - its immaculate, 1 owner, ultra low mileage etc, etc.
However, buying the new car coincides with accepting a new job offer which will involve taking the car to work as the place of work has poor public transport links. Driving it to work Monday to Friday alone is probably going to be 250 miles.

So my question is would you rack up the miles on the Trophy or buy a 'shed' for £500-1500 - stick the commuting miles on this and keep the Trophy to be appreciated more at evenings and weekends?

Reaction score
Horrible diesel shed, Trophy deserves better, I racked up 150 miles a week commuting and I regret it now, it's never that much fun if it's busy and you get frustrated that you can't stretch the little tomato's legs. If I had to do it again, I'd buy a diesel 205 XTD, my friend had one, not slow and 650 miles to a tank.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
well ive taken the tomatoe route,

as i do 300+ miles a week. Its true it does hurt when you see the miles racking up.

But im thinking i will save up, keep the trophy for years hence high milage wont matter(as i wont be seeling her) and then get a second car weekends trackdays! Exige or westfield hehe :D

Im talking major long term here

Reaction score
buy a shitter.... best thing i have ever done tbh.

my first Trophy i had a similar commute to yours and managed to rack up 9000 miles in about 9 months.... in the new Trophy i managed to rack up 5000 miles in 3 months and was quickly getting bored of driving it in traffic etc.

Now with the Pug as my daily runner, i can choose to use the Trophy some days but i also appreciate it much more when i do drive it :D

Reaction score
Cheers for the input, i'm thinking i might run the Trophy for the first 2-4 weeks and just check that everything is ok with the job first and that i will be sticking around, then go and buy a shed and start using that. I like Gareths comments about still being able to use the Trophy some days too - that sounds good.

So the next question is - what should i buy? I dont want to buy something unreliable that will end up eating up loads of cash but understand things are going to go run with an old car with a 1k price tag. Tempted to get something fun like a 205 GTI but reckon that kinda defeats the purpose, instead i should get a stinky little diesel and get as many miles per gallon as possible. Is it worth increasing the budget to get something newer and more reliable?

So what should be on the shortlist? Budget around 500 - 1500, a grand or less preferred? Was thinking 106 diesel or 306 turbo diesel? Might check the 205 XTD as Steve mentioned too.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
diesels - go with Ford Focus post '02, something German, or French.

Personally, I'd go with either a Focus or a Clio diesel - maybe useful to switch parts onto it if you're planning any mods to the trophy, would help keep the servicing cost down also.

Reaction score
I do lots of miles driving to and from work, as well as lots of leisure miles in mine. (now on 37k) depends on what the commute is like - for me it is generally before rush hour in the morngin and there is lots of opportunity to enjoy the car on quieter roads, and roundabouts, also, there is always an alternative to the main road to come home on depending on your mood. If your drive to and from work can be enjoyed, what better car to do it in? If it can't, and it is just a grind, then maybe another car would be better for the sommute in order to save the trophy for better drives?

Reaction score
i spent a good 3 months searching for a good Pug 306.... diesels hold their money well; the ones to go for are the HDi's but you'll be able to get a 97P reg D Turbo for the top end of your budget but they're not without hassles i am told.... if you're interested in 306 specifically i found www.pug306.net to be a not too bad forum for help and advice... for your money i'd personally look at 106 Diesel or a Clio diesel. both can be had for good money and within your budget, or alternatively go for a Polo/Golf - the older ones are pretty much bullet proof

Cue - Focus are a little pricey i think for his budget - were out of my budget anyways and i was willing to spend up to £3k.

My Pug cost just over £2k as a guide Luke - thats a 2000 registered 2 owner car with 70000 miles.