A couple of slight issues with 224

Reaction score
Morning everyone, have a couple of issues i'd like to ask everyone about before I start throwing money at her.

First off and in fact the most annoying thing about the car at the moment is the speaker surrounds. All they do is bloody vibrate! I've tried turning the music up, down, wedging things in gaps etc but to no avail. I haven't tried shoving matches in them yet but that's because i'd like to find out if anyone has had this problem and what they've done to rectify it.

Secondly 224 is reluctant to start from cold. Basically, it will not start first time, even with a decent amount of throttle. However, it'll always start the second, even if I only turn it over for a split second the first time.
I'm currently thinking about the ignition system as occasionally the car will backfire and not run right at low revs for a short period after starting, after which it just clears itself, which makes me think it's getting way to much fuel. That only happens very occasionally though.

I always wait for the ignition lights to go out before starting and everything can be heard doing its thing. Is there a chance it could be injectors or something fuel related?

On a plus side she's off to have a new exhaust on Monday, the standard one is practically falling off!

Reaction score
your lucky if its just your speaker surrounds vibrating! everything vibrates on mine! its French, thats what they do :x

Reaction score
Trophy No.
For the starting issue, turn the ignition all the way on, then all the way off, then all the way on and start it. I was told it was something to do with priming the fuel pump by Dan from 519 Automotive. It solved my non starting issue in the mornings. That is obviously just an interim fix, I would imagine it would take a bit of investigating to find out what it is that is causing the priming issue.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
That's a very good point! I've come from an old knackared 205 diesel (which I loved incidently), to the Clio and the 205 had better build quality! I'm glad to say though that short of the bootlid trim rattling which is due to a broken clip, the speaker surrounds are the only things that do.
Will see if I can get some sound mat stuff and experiment. If it'll help I'll post up what I find.

Thanks for the tip with the ignition problem. I'll try that tomorrow. I'm going to K-tec in the afternoon so i'll have a little chat to them. Did you solve yours completely by doing that?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
It starts every time when I do it this way.

It's only the first start of the day though. Every other time it starts without this technique!

Reaction score
Yes that's what I find. Started doing it your way (when I remember) and it works fine. Thanks. :)

I'm not entirely sure the spark plugs have ever been changed so i'll look at those to start with.

Reaction score
The fuel pressure regulator may no longer be the issue. According to K-tec they aren't a bit to fail, in fact mine would be the first one they've ever changed and apparently it's quite alot of work to do so, so i'm really hoping that isn't it!

They might well be keeping the car for a few days soon to try to get to the bottom of it plus a mate is getting some information and i'll report back what I find if anything.

Still haven't managed to sort the rest of the issues either, i'm being a bit lazy!

Reaction score
Ok.I had a few bits changed on it. New plugs which were needed, new coil pack and new leads although that was to a large extent to rid the car of a misfire and hopefully it would sort the starting problem out as a secondary effect but low and behold it hasn't. The changes have made the car much smoother to drive however.

Is the regulator part of the pump? As i've been told that you can only get it with the pump if it's the bit im thinking of. I'm guessing they'd be availiable second hand?

The problem isn't a big pain in the arse but it'd be nice to sort. I'd like the car to be spot on :)

Thanks for the help.