Reaction score
OK, have been lurking for a while and am ready to buy a car, I have 8k to spend ready in the bank so really I expect I am looking at a 182 with Cup Pack(s) but I thought I would try on here to see what a Trophy goes for nowdays.

I am not after a flaming for insulting the value of the Trophy, its a great car and thats why I want one but if I am a bit short then so be it 182 it is, thats my budget, no more, no less. Judging by the trade in values thread its not a million miles off.

Must be tidy, no outstanding major faults with service history, I don't expect a tiny miler but neither do I want mega miles. Don't mind minor mods but nothing to extreme.

I am based in Wilmslow, South Manchester so nearer the better but its a rare car and I can travel if needs be.

So, thats it, 8k, I am afraid I can't stretch it any further, school fees, bills, I don't do credit, etc etc.

PM me

Reaction score
Good luck, like you say the 'trade in thread' not sell private.
Your budget won't really stretch i don't think, unless it's galatic miles etc.
I would save up for a month or two & come back with 9.5/10k then you should be ok.
You will be lucky to get a 'good' cupped 182 for 8K, unless it's an 04 & trophy's didn't appear till late 05 :lol:

There is a saying 'you can't polish a turd', buyer beware, as there are a few 'scrappers' out there also.

Reaction score
Pretty much what I thought, 04 182 + cup packs, seems to be loads about between seven and nine grand, eight seems a reasonable as not that long ago a new one was 11 and a half grand from Motorpoint, dont suppose they had Cup packs but that wasnt a vast amount more anyway. I think part of the problem for the Trophy is the Civic Type R, ten grand gets you a lot of Honda which is a bit bigger, a bit more powerful (not saying faster) and better made, I personally prefer the Clio but thats the market it is in.

Still, if anyone is in a hurry get in touch, what with Christmas and winter looming, petrol prices going up, that diesel looks more attractive than ever.

Apologies, just trying to introduce some doubt and force prices down into my price range !

No 498 is on Pistonheads for 9200, getting nearer.

Reaction score
I was in a similar position, but take my word for it, its worth saving the extra grand or so and buying a trophy :wink:

Reaction score
You would think the £8500 car might come a tad less if you expressed a genuine interest. Buying one with 35-40000m at the right moment is the way ahead for you.

Reaction score
Oh, well, drove a 182, 14,000 miles and didn't like it, cheers for all the replies but its not for me.

Why ?

Gear knob too far away, the engine reverberated through the car and it wasnt all that fast, I think I was expecting too much and perhaps ten miles isnt enough to appreciate a car but first impression were that I wouldn't suit me, bizarre think is my old Saab felt quicker even though its only meant to be 150 bhp, I think its down to power delivery, the Saab is very torquey low down and the Clio isnt making much torque until 5000 rpm.

Still love the look of them though, now looking at more powerful Saabs, Volvos and BMW 330's

perhaps its just me turning into an old man !

Reaction score
Aye, my first impressions were that it didn't feel that quick in the lower revs. I think this is partly because the fly-by-wire throttle is not very responsive at lower revs. The engine at those revs is very quiet and smooth, and the gearing is reasonably long. It's 3k to start moving, and 5k before it feels special.

Not sure about the engine reverberation - did it have a non-standard exhaust? For me, engine noise doesn't start to become significant unless I'm using it, and then I appreciate the sound it makes. Never going to be as refined as a larger car though - my main gripe in that regard is the ride over sharp bumps. The trophy shocks work very well over smooth edged bumps though and do give a better ride than the 182 cup overall.

The seating position is a compromise - the pedals are too close for my liking, meaning the steering wheel and gearbox are too far away, however, I have now become used to driving with my legs slightly more bent than I would have them in a larger car.

I was torn between a trophy and a 3 series coupe (the standard 182 never really came into it). For the same money I'd have had an older car with higher maintanence costs. Better cruising comfort, but less thrills on twisty roads.

Reaction score
Oh dear, you like your Saabs and you're looking for a Trophy? Aren't Saabs punishment for consumers who don't do their research?

I can tell you unequivocally that there aren't any Saabs that will keep up with a 182 on a b-road, it might feel fast but it's forced induction and torque steer that gives that impression. Even if they were a match in performance terms, they wouldn't register on most 182 owners radars. Opposite end of the motoring spectrum.

If instant grunt and space for five are priorities, a 182 is definitely not for you. But you can do a lot better than a Saab with your £8K (they don't really make fighter jets you know, it's a completely separate and unrelated company). The possibilities are endless...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
J4CKO said:
Oh, well, drove a 182, 14,000 miles and didn't like it, cheers for all the replies but its not for me.

Why ?

Gear knob too far away, the engine reverberated through the car and it wasnt all that fast, I think I was expecting too much and perhaps ten miles isnt enough to appreciate a car but first impression were that I wouldn't suit me, bizarre think is my old Saab felt quicker even though its only meant to be 150 bhp, I think its down to power delivery, the Saab is very torquey low down and the Clio isnt making much torque until 5000 rpm.

Still love the look of them though, now looking at more powerful Saabs, Volvos and BMW 330's

i came from a 330CI and they are slower, take my word for it. I can't think of a Saab that would keep up, the Volvo's not sure about the T5 in a straight line but show it a corner and that would be trailing.

M3's are noticeably quicker though, although MPG and insurance costs put it into another bracket.

Reaction score
I left a 330 last week on the twisties plus an s60 t5 that my dad had.

The s60 would win in a straight line past 60 like but not up to 60.

Reaction score
Volvo T5 is the biggest waste of 300 horsepower this side of a chipped Saab. The Swedes lost the plot in the nineties, Subaru might be able to save Saab but who's going to save them? Evo X vs. WRX STi next year will be a joke.

Reaction score
J4CKO said:

Why ?

I've had 2x 330CIs in the past and never regretted selling then for a Trophy. Trophy was much quicker in almost every respect except a straight line, and even then there was little in it.

O.