Reaction score
http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.aspx? ... d=14887192

The reason accidents occur on these roads you communistical fools is that a) the road surface is usually crap, b) visibility around corners = 0, c) caravaners force drivers to take unnecessary risks because they simply won't get out of the way and d) ramblers, cyclists and horsists are allowed, tax free, to take the part of the road that prevents cars hitting each other head on.

...and breathe...

Reaction score
Johnnytheboy said:
... 'only 6% of accidents are caused by exceeding the speed limits, most are caused by inattention'...

Where did you get that fact from JTB? - I have just had a quick search but can't find it via google.. I'm keen to drum up some support for the petition.. :)

Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
Johnnytheboy said:
... 'only 6% of accidents are caused by exceeding the speed limits, most are caused by inattention'...

Where did you get that fact from JTB? - I have just had a quick search but can't find it via google.. I'm keen to drum up some support for the petition.. :)

The govt's own stats! Page 42 of this big pdf list all the factors. The "one third of accidents caused by speeding" line they trot out bundles up primary and contributory factors and inappropriate speed within the limit = 29% which they round up to 1/3. But here it is in black and white: exceeding the speed limit causes 6% of accidents, while "failed to look properly" alone caused a whopping 35%, but they don't bang on about that quite so much.

Reaction score
GRRRR!!!!

obviously if there are lots of accidents it's always down to speed... It has nothing whatsoever do do with the fact the donut behind the wheel has no anticipation, pedestrian didn't look etc...

I wish this stupid f*****g joke of a government would realise that people in this country CAN'T BLOODY DRIVE!!!!! And stop reducing speed limits because it is perceved by these idiot drivers to be doing the right thing. If a cyclist is hit by a car doing 80mph, they die. If a cyclist is hit by a car doing 50mph, THEY DIE!

MAKE THE DRIVING TEST HARDER!!!! TEACH FORWARD THINKING, READING THE ROAD, ANTICIPATION!!!!

If drivers use common sense, like driving slowly past schools, slowing down if you see a cyclist on a country road the accident rate would plumet. (and so speed cameras would slowly disappear, and speed limits would be left alone) The number of people i see doing 40mph in a nat limit single carriage then carry that 40mph into a 30 when going through a village is unreal... WAKE UP!!!

I'm stopping before my head explodes!!!! I think you get my jist.

Reaction score
Petition signed.

And don't even get me started on "carbon emissions"! Everyone stop buying "gas guzzlers" LOL! What a load of old poo! I will when the yanks do, and when Asia stop building hundreds of new coal fired power stations. What car I drive make no difference the the earths climate. Neither does it as a nation.

Again, if people drove more thoughtfully to increase their MPG, they would reduce the emissions from their car. And we need to lose traffic lights on roundabouts. Roundabouts are designed to work on their own, that' the point of them! I would agree that in some case of uneven traffic flow lights are needed. But not in the middle of the sodding night!!!!

And so on.

[calm down, breath, breath...]

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I just got an Email saying a decision has been made and the speedlimit is 'not' being reduced from 60 to 50 :D :D

Reaction score
Who's the email from?
I just got an email saying I can "increase my girth by 50%" can't believe every mail you get :wink: :lol:

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
number10@petitions.pm.gov.uk

You signed a petition asking the Prime Minister to "Not reduce the national
speed limit to 50mph."

The Prime Minister's Office has responded to that petition and you can view
it here:

http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page20803

Prime Minister's Office

Petition information - http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/noNSLreduction/