Reaction score
I was driving down the M6 yesterday and got thinking about the feasability of fitting a six speed box in the little beast.
Would this be possible?
I know they used six speeders in the Cup cars, but they were sequential and expensive, also probably not ideal ratios for the road.
How about a box from a 197?
Its the same engine isn't it?

Reaction score
Anything is possible if you've the money! Maybe 4k for a new box?

O.

Reaction score
Yep - same engine, different manifolds, looms, gearbox and ECU. Would be expensive to but a new 197 box and even more to fit it though, warranty would be shot and I don't think many would want to buy a Trophy modified to this degree.

Besides - with the 182's power and those ratios you would top out at 125mph and have even higher revs at 70, so what's the point?!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
the 197's box is 6 speed but no better - its pulling the same revs at 70 in 6th as the Trophy in 5th. The ratio's are soooo close to make it go. that weight needs about 220bhp.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
asim, considering the mods you've already done.... the sequential is the logical next step. Having spent time on one at Cadwell I'd certainly say that, if funds permited, I'd consider it for track use. Bit OTT for road use though - tricky going around town with one....

When I had the 330 I used the auto box's sequential setting alot and it gets tiresome in city driving. But when you're on an open road it's fun.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Throttle bodies are a bit loud for me - nice power delvery though. It may be worth a call to Yozzasport, they do this work on mass also I believe.

Reaction score
Forget the race box - sequential dog clutch boxes are not for town use.

The problem wioth Clio throttle bodies is that the tract length should be longer for the rev range and weight of car, but there is not much room to get everything in ,including an airbox.

Reaction score
Cant see why you would want to do this The Trophy was built like it is and a good job it does... Don't mess with what already works dude :D

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
if i was turning it into a pure track car the sequential box, throlle bodies would be on the order list.... having said that it's perfect for b-roads and other cars would make better starting points for a project of this type.

Having seen the car last year I was very impressed with the mods he'd done up to that point. If it's staying on road then the sequential box would make it a pig in normal driving conditions.

They're designed for a purpose - fast acceleration and to aid fast braking. Unless your driving style is all or nothing, they're a bit pointless (you couldn't feasably do this in the trophy as you'd be running into the back of everyone). Hense why no car maker actually does a proper sequential box - BMW with the SMG came close but that was developed from an auto box. I think Saab did a clutchless manual one also but that had a normal gate selector from memory.