Reaction score
Hi All

Am currently looking at buying a clio Sport. Money isn't so much an issue but was after some owner feedback on what model you would choose and why? The car will be mainly a weekend driver and I want some fun with some comfort. I will be tracking the car occasionally also. I know ppl on here will be trophy owners but what were your reasons for purchasing a trophy over other CS models?

Thanks in advance

CS_fan

Reaction score
lokl was hoping a few ppl may have also owned cups. May be better to try cliosport.net What were your reasons for choosing the trophy?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
You'll not get an exactly balanced view over there either methinks, there are a few on here who have owned RS and generally think they would say that the trophy is a lot better than the 182cup and a little better than the 172cup but there are always going to be arguments about which is better. Best you get out and drive both. And then go out and buy a Trophy :)

Reaction score
Hi CS_Fan,

The main reasons I bought a Trophy were that I was in the market for a new car and I liked the handling and the exclusivity.

I used to have a 172 as a company car, which I really liked, but I'decided that I'd never buy one out of my own money because of the residuals. I thought with the Trophy that they may hold their value a bit better due to the 'rave' reviews and the limited numbers.

Hoz.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
money no object then get the Trophy, as a w/e toy then buy a trophy.

need something to turn into a track car eventually - get the 172 cup, need a daily driver and not too fussed with 100% balls out handling - get the FF182. the 182 would be a bit pointless as the Trophy is a 182 cup but better.

Reaction score
Had a 182 FF and a 197 before the Trophy.

I miss some of the toys in the 182 like the Xenons and climate and to some extent the auto lights and wipers.

What it comes down to though is the exclusivity, not seen another Trophy on the road since I have owned mine and the driving experience. You can see where the Renault's chassis engineers spent their time developing the ride and handling of the 'T' as it is in a different class. It can be harsh on dodgy rode surfaces so beware if you are coming from an armchair drive then the 182 may be a better option.

Overall ?? - Loving the 'T' :D :D :D

Reaction score
Brilliant cheers. It will be a weekend occasional evening car, and will be driven in a "spirited" manner. not ragged but I do like a random 5am B road blat. The Interior seems a lot nicer place to be in a trophy compared to the cup. I have read service history is a key thing to look out for. anything else? Was budgeting around 9k?

Reaction score
Had a 172 (not a cup) followed by a 182FF and now a Trophy.

To my mind the Trophy is far and away the best.

You will not believe how much better the Trophy is until you drive it. Even with a time gap between ownership I could feel the difference immedately. The unbelievable feedback from the road is simply stunning and brings a smile every time and a feeling of contentment by just knowing you own something very special and haven't had to spend silly money on it.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the lack of xenons and other stuff the FF has, but I agree some of those things can be good to have.

The red is a bit unsubtle and needs looking after, especially if you keep it outside and want to keep it looking good.

The only thing missing imho is a decent 'exhaust note' for this type of car, but for the money you are spending you will probably be able to find a well-modified example.

I like the exclusivity too and also the fact that very few people understand that it is anything other than just a Clio.

The way this pc world is going it may well be one the last great hot hatches you will ever get.

Here I get controversial though: Sorry, I just don't get the 197 at all. It is 200kgs heavier and has lifeless steering. There's no doubt the 197 is a great car, but it doesn't move the game on at all. And that is why the Trophy is still so brilliant after 3 years. For this price and for this type of car it will be very difficult to significantly improve on it.

The only thing is that you might begin to think the mkII shape looks dated, but you'll forget that again when you're driving.

Biassed? Me? Yes, I admit it, but with good reason and good experience.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
reboot said:

You will not believe how much better the Trophy is until you drive it. Even with a time gap between ownership I could feel the difference immedately. The unbelievable feedback from the road is simply stunning and brings a smile every time and a feeling of contentment by just knowing you own something very special and haven't had to spend silly money on it.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the lack of xenons and other stuff the FF has, but I agree some of those things can be good to have.

The red is a bit unsubtle and needs looking after, especially if you keep it outside and want to keep it looking good.

The only thing missing imho is a decent 'exhaust note' for this type of car, but for the money you are spending you will probably be able to find a well-modified example.

I like the exclusivity too and also the fact that very few people understand that it is anything other than just a Clio.

The way this pc world is going it may well be one the last great hot hatches you will ever get.

Here I get controversial though: Sorry, I just don't get the 197 at all. It is 200kgs heavier and has lifeless steering. There's no doubt the 197 is a great car, but it doesn't move the game on at all. And that is why the Trophy is still so brilliant after 3 years. For this price and for this type of car it will be very difficult to significantly improve on it.

The only thing is that you might begin to think the mkII shape looks dated, but you'll forget that again when you're driving.

+1 - i couldn't have put it better myself.

Reaction score
cheers for the reply fellas, you have confirmed everything I was already thinking.

Trophy it is for me, now to sell the starlet and get a Trophy. Have found one that I am very keen on.

Thanks again lads.
CS_fan

Reaction score
reboot said:

Well said, however I still think the RS MKII models look modern and rather special. I love the looks especially the Trophy and 172 Cup.

I'm not a fan of the 197 either and agree Renault have done backwards in certain areas. Plus the looks just don't do it for me.

I'm quite happy to admit the Trophy is my favourite car! :) Love it.

And for a nice example around 9k what a bargain over lesser cars priced at double that!

Oh and I love the standard exhaust too, probably the only person that does lol but its not too loud but has a unique note when pushing it.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
My Previous 172 Cup... fast and loud as most of the sound proofing has been removed at the factory.

Now the 182 Trophy... :D Corners amazingly quickly! Turn in compared to the Cup is awesome. When i had my Cup my dad owned the Trophy so i could drive one and then jump out and drive the other to do a back to back comparison. I then sold the Cup to buy the Trophy off him... That may tell you how good the Trophy is :)

But the Cup is a good Weekend car, its a bit toooo much at times driving long distances bu perfect for driving round at weekends and on the odd track day. The Trophy you can drive long distances and get out the other end as if you have just popped to the shops. You'll also find you'll have more fun from A to B in the Trophy, chasing some super cars through country lanes and watching them get upset when they can;t pull away from you.

Reaction score
I can only really echo what the others have said.

Perfect all-round and very special car is the trophy. The pick of the 3!

Btw if you are after a well mildly-modified example then mine will be for sale in a few days, if you want a slightly more special example - as I need a car i can tow with.

Exhaust, remap, brakes, induction etc etc. Much improved over standard, and easily returned to standard too.

Reaction score
I am looking to either get a 172 or 182 at mo and strip out/modify for track use.

Really want a 182 cup but they are few and far between.

Out of the 172 cups I ve seen so far many are in a very poor state, so I am looking at 172FF then strip out.

I had a 172 then a Trophy then a CTR. Trophy is amazing and miss it soooo much. But I ll also miss my CTR when it goes as the VTEC and gearbox are amazing, even if the sterring is slightly inert. CTR is also quite heavy compared with Trophy.