Reaction score
Just got the call to say she failed primarily for exhaust emissions. Not sure what to do. Its a powerflow catback system fitted at the moment but I assumed that because there is still a cat fitted it should pass?

It could just be a faulty sensor apparently, but I'm preparing myself that I may need to buy a standard exhaust just to get through the MOT.

What systems do you chaps run and have you ever had similar problems?

Cheers.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! So chances are its a lambda sensor then. Will see what my mechanic says when he calls tomorrow. He had to replace a ball-joint (I had noticed the car pulling slightly to the right under heavy braking so that might explain that?) and the other point from the MOT was the middle rear seatbelt wasn't working properly, an easy fix apparently though. Seems ridiculous considering the rear seats will be removed again as soon as she gets through! :lol:

Reaction score
That would be mine.....fitted a new lambda sensor and she flew thru 8) the machanic/tester said the H/C- hydro carbons (un burned fuel) were way to high, if they remain high all through the rev range it could be 1 or both of the sensors! but as mine was high through the revs and sky high on idle he suggested it was the front sensor, (before the cat) that was shot, i got one from GSF £44 trade, popped it on and bingo, the H/C came right down and she passed, WINNER! 8)
hope this helps,

Cheers

Reaction score
Trophy#110 said:
Thanks for that info mate much appreciated! :D
not a problem pal, hope you get it sorted! the bonus with them is, the sensor is same front/rear, so if you buy just the one as i did and it turns out to be the other, then just swap them round, if both are shot then you're just unlucky :shock:

Reaction score
Turns out both lambda sensors needed replacing, however car's emissions are now legal and I will hopefully be able to collect tomorrow morning. No idea what it'll cost though all in. Not only that but I'll need to fill her up AND pay my £235 road tax, not a good week for my stretched finances! :(

Reaction score
The joys of owning a car hay #-o , on the plus side though, shes fixed up and good for another year ...even if you are afew hudred quid lighter :!: :cry:

Reaction score
#110 now home safe and sound! Total of £293 on MOT, parts and labour. Also filled her up (£53) and paid my road tax. £581 in ONE day! :shock: Need to lie down! Still hopefully shouldn't be any more big bills until next year I'm hoping as Sept-April use will be very limited.

Reaction score
Just to add, just incase anyone else has a similar problem. I had exactly the same thing on my MOT. It failed on emissions and had extremely high HC emission. The Renault mechanic advised I take it out to get the CAT nice and hot. So took the car out again and went for an hour long blast up and down the A road. Took it back to the test centre for the retest and it sailed through with normal emissions for HC and CO. The blast must have burnt off all the carbon and accumulated crud in the exhaust system.

Reaction score
Jonc said:
Just to add, just incase anyone else has a similar problem. I had exactly the same thing on my MOT. It failed on emissions and had extremely high HC emission. The Renault mechanic advised I take it out to get the CAT nice and hot. So took the car out again and went for an hour long blast up and down the A road. Took it back to the test centre for the retest and it sailed through with normal emissions for HC and CO. The blast must have burnt off all the carbon and accumulated crud in the exhaust system.
We tried that a couple of times with mine, but to no joy :(