BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm sure most of you attempt or have attempted to carry out work on your own car before, mechanical minded or not. I for one have very little experience working on cars but can't resist having a go with a 'how hard can it be attitude'. As of yet I haven't caused any major damage (touch wood) #-o.

When I was changing the exhaust on my car I had to drop the rear beam in order to remove the standard one as it is in one piece, in doing so I also removed the rear springs as they practically fall out when the rear beam is lowered. I fitted the new exhaust and bolted the rear beam back up, great, 'lets go check out the new exhaust'! Set off down the road...'Something doesn't feel right', so I set off back to the garage only to find the rear springs sat on the floor!

I once forgot to tighten the wheel bolts on both front wheels and headed off out for a drive. I managed a good 5 miles before clunk, clunk, clunk. I knew exactly what was wrong and I knew exactly where my 19mm socket and wrench was. After leaving my girlfriend 50 missed calls I was pretty annoyed with myself so when she phoned back and heard me barking down the phone she hung up and I had to walk home and back to the car again.

I'm sure there are more but that's all I can think of for now.

Ben

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Lol how the hell did you manage to forget springs? I've not really got any stories as I'm a little too much James May (spanner #1 spanner#2) and check everything about a million times.

Reaction score
That really is an epic fail of massive proportions to not put your springs back in!!!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Nothing to note as yet, I'm with Hoolio on the numbering of spanners thing.

However in a few weeks time I will be re-assembling my front suspension, so plenty to go wrong there! :lol:

Reaction score
hodgy21 said:
Nothing to note as yet, I'm with Hoolio on the numbering of spanners thing.

However in a few weeks time I will be re-assembling my front suspension, so plenty to go wrong there! :lol:

Can we come around to watch?!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I thought of another one...

A few weeks back when I was removing my dampers to fit solid top mounts I was using a hammer to knock out 1 of the 2 swivel-hub to damper bolts (felt like they were welded in), I missed and destroyed my ABS sensor, I had to remove the whole swivel hub in order to knock the old sensor out and fit a new one. Waiting for a new sensor took 4 days, the job should have took 2 hours.

Reaction score
What stms do you have ben? Im thinking of getting some soon but dont really like the idea of drilling for the k-tec ones.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have the latest K-Tec ones Sam, 3x 8mm holes required.

Reaction score
Spanners etc. Not only numbered but signed in and out of the tool chest and polished before putting back in :) sad but strangely rewarding.

Was thinking of giving names to my snap on ones .......

Reaction score
Trophy No.
BenG said:

A few weeks back when I was removing my dampers to fit solid top mounts I was using a hammer to knock out 1 of the 2 swivel-hub to damper bolts (felt like they were welded in), I missed and destroyed my ABS sensor, I had to remove the whole swivel hub in order to knock the old sensor out and fit a new one. Waiting for a new sensor took 4 days, the job should have took 2 hours.

Ben you are shattering all my preconceptions of you though I particularly like the GF story.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
hoolio said:
BenG said:

Ben you are shattering all my preconceptions of you though I particularly like the GF story.

It's not all bad, we're still together after nearly 7 years .

I am pretty anal when it comes to tools, I only buy decent quality, the job isn't finished until they are put back in their place, I never let others use them, i'm even building a secure room with a level 4 security door and 24/7 monitored alarm just for them to live in. Naming them though, now that is just sad!

Reaction score
eljeffo64 said:
Spanners etc. Not only numbered but signed in and out of the tool chest and polished before putting back in :) sad but strangely rewarding.

Do you have any other obsessive behaviours? You might find it therapeutic to share these with us...

Reaction score
i would say that signing them in and out when your the only person that uses them is quite sad too, but hey each to their own :wink: :D

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
My worst was letting the car slip off the jack once when I was changing wheels... can't think of anything else.... #-o

Reaction score
^^^ Forgot i have done this once! It clipped my side skirt, I almost cried!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Bunch of rookies :roll:

:wink:

Reaction score
marrow said:
eljeffo64 said:

Do you have any other obsessive behaviours? You might find it therapeutic to share these with us...

Need to check with the toolbox to see if it's ok with them, then I'll share ;-)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cue said:
My worst was letting the car slip off the jack once when I was changing wheels... can't think of anything else.... #-o
Also done this.
Shite halfords jack where the wheels dont run as the jack rises + greasy underseal on chassis rail = swearing. lots of.