Would you swap for a Williams

Reaction score
I keep hovering over these. I’ve never driven one nor actually seen many in the flesh and I think the reality is you have to pay a fair old wedge to get something nice. It seems like the first “numbered” series is the one to have. Given they eventually made about 13,000 clearly the series 2 & 3 or not exactly rare albeit they don’t seem to come up for sale that often

Can anyone comment on these and how they are to live with and drive relative to the later Renaultsport models and the Trophy. I’m thinking I’m having to pay more than double what my Trophy is worth.

Are these cars as magical as some reviews portray. Has anyone any owner experience and advice on the model. Certainly the people that own them, and the Mk1 in particular seem to want to hold onto them

Reaction score
Went to buy one some 10/11 years ago now but it sold and ended up in a mk1 focus rs

I think they are really cool, and the comfiest sears ever fitted to a car.

If you can, buy one.

TheSaint

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I was looking to buy one before I bought the T. I found that I could buy one with my budget easy enough but to get it back up to standard was going to be quite costly and more then I could afford. Also the availablity of parts is even more difficult then what it is with parts for the T. One day I will have a W, the T though is a great substitute

Reaction score
i have mk1 n° 0935 july 1993 in perfect state hive all the maintenance history
if some one want to try her, it will be a pleasure for me but you will have to go in south west France;)
i spoke about it in an other place on forum and as i said:
from my experience i love driving the both
clio williams delivered lots of goods sensations, she is a little bit more "soft" than trophy with acceleration and "keeping road" with sachs dumper very efficiency but finaly the pleasure is the same.
after that i agree because my target is to keep it as long as possible and my trophy too.
when you drive a williams you are in an other world, all is perfectible, very good feeling with road, engine and steering......it's an other time (more or less 30 years)
i agree because some parts are difficult available but if you keep attention you don't have to change anything.....
engine accept 300000 km if maintenance is did regularly and respect hot time when you start driving.
here after some picture to make you want.....

Attachments

• 20150530_121532.jpg
    20150530_121532.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 20150530_121506 - Copie.jpg
    20150530_121506 - Copie.jpg
    779.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20170726_124354.jpg
    20170726_124354.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
Reaction score
Went to buy one some 10/11 years ago now but it sold and ended up in a mk1 focus rs

I think they are really cool, and the comfiest sears ever fitted to a car.

If you can, buy one.

I considered the mk1 Focus RS before buying the trophy. It would be interesting to see your comparisons between the two from an owners perspective.

Reaction score
I considered the mk1 Focus RS before buying the trophy. It would be interesting to see your comparisons between the two from an owners perspective.

For me I'd have another mk1 rs in a heartbeat. Probably fav car ive owned personally.

Trophy is good but a different sort of drive.

Reaction score
i have mk1 n° 0935 july 1993 in perfect state hive all the maintenance history
if some one want to try her, it will be a pleasure for me but you will have to go in south west France;)
i spoke about it in an other place on forum and as i said:
from my experience i love driving the both
clio williams delivered lots of goods sensations, she is a little bit more "soft" than trophy with acceleration and "keeping road" with sachs dumper very efficiency but finaly the pleasure is the same.
after that i agree because my target is to keep it as long as possible and my trophy too.
when you drive a williams you are in an other world, all is perfectible, very good feeling with road, engine and steering......it's an other time (more or less 30 years)
i agree because some parts are difficult available but if you keep attention you don't have to change anything.....
engine accept 300000 km if maintenance is did regularly and respect hot time when you start driving.
here after some picture to make you want.....

That looks like a great example,have you owned it long?

Those seats look like a big pillow but they are supposed to be really good and offer good support.

I likd to check up on Clio Williams every so often,their prices have seemed to hold and have probably increased a lot,especially the original series over the last few years.

I would love to try one some day.
I have a 1992 205 1.9 Gti and ashamedly I dont drive it enough.

TheSaint

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I would say a Williams wins in the coolness factor on looks.. and then you see the arches and sill and think 182
Arches sills boot lid doors and inner wheel arches .... the joys of a car built almost 30 years ago that only had an 8 to 10 year shelf life

Reaction score
I would say a Williams wins in the coolness factor on looks.. and then you see the arches and sill and think 182

im sure there will be cars about that have been sorted but there’s a lot that haven’t. Loads with wrong decals, wrong detail and really the only one to buy seems to be the Mk1 so the likelihood of picking up a car with everything right seems remote......and £20k +

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Regarding which version of the Williams to buy I would advise buying the best available regardless of it being a 1,2 or 3. They all drive very very similarly particularly the 1 & 2.

I have a low mileage example of a Trophy and Williams 2 and occasionally drive them back to back.

The Williams is generally slightly softer in comparison to the Trophy, the ride is softer, steering not as sharp, engine not as eager at the top end, grip levels slightly lower. All as I would expect for a car from the early 90's compared to its equivalent from 2005. As a stand alone drive the Williams is fantastic and a good step on from the 205 Gti 1.9.

As a driving tool the Trophy gets my vote.

To park up and stare at it would be the Williams.

Reaction score
That looks like a great example,have you owned it long?

Those seats look like a big pillow but they are supposed to be really good and offer good support.

I likd to check up on Clio Williams every so often,their prices have seemed to hold and have probably increased a lot,especially the original series over the last few years.

I would love to try one some day.
I have a 1992 205 1.9 Gti and ashamedly I dont drive it enough.

i am owner since 7 years and i had looking for during 1 years to find what i wanted.
yes it s true, the seats are very confortable (more than trophy ;)) and their price is increasing year per year and i am sure that it will be the same with trophy.

the 205 gti is also a very good popular yougtimers (as we can see on spécial magazine)
i don't drive my williams often but i take care of it.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ive owned a 205 GTI, Clio Williams and Trophy 243.

Im not sure why the Williams is as revered as it is. The 205 GTI is more immersive, the Trophy better handling and engine. That being said the Williams was great to drive.

Be careful though, I paid 1800 quid for mine and it was barely worth every penny! cost a small fortune to have the body work and sills sorted, plus parts were a real pain in the arse to find (similar to a Trophy I suppose)

Attachments

• Photo_(91).jpeg
    Photo_(91).jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2484.jpeg
    IMG_2484.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Reaction score
the twice cars are very beautiful, i bought an other clio williams last week, a good idea for Christmas day but it is for my son and she is in 1/43 scale ;)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Owned a Mk1 Focus RS, didn’t get all the fuss about it, very disappointing to drive, much prefer the Trophy.

Attachments

• 6D830840-7026-4450-BB32-A6CEFB4A6EAA.jpeg
    6D830840-7026-4450-BB32-A6CEFB4A6EAA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6