Wipers

IRK

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I've just changed the wiper blades from standard to Bosch Aero Twin units. My old ones were both 21" which I believe is correct to Renault specs, but the passenger side used to catch the A pillar, particularly when on high. The wipers are positioned as low down towards the scuttle as I can get them on the spindles and tightened fully.

For this reason, I went for an 18" on the passenger side and 21" driver, but the problem still persists.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so, were you able to sort it? Are the linkages known to fail?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sounds like something is worn or loose. Blade length shouldnt change if it hits the a pillar or not, as the blade length doesnt change the linkages range of motion.
Have you had the linkage out recently?

IRK

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I've not had the linkage out during my ownership, but perhaps that could be the culprit. Wasn't sure if there was something I'd done wrong in setting them, but I'll break the tools out tomorrow and have a look.

Reaction score
My guess is something worn or failed in the linkage. You obviously have to remove the wiper arms to take the scuttle off. But worth refitting them with the linkage exposed so you can use them to check for slop.
Also be sure locate it correctly in the rear alignment pin when you refit the linkage. You can easily fit it not located correctly and it will squeak like a pig when the wipers are on. Lol

Reactions: IRK

IRK

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks for the tips Frayz! A squeaking linkage sounds as bad if not worse than the annoying click of the blade catching at the moment ha!

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips Frayz! A squeaking linkage sounds as bad if not worse than the annoying click of the blade catching at the moment ha!

If the wiper arms havent been off in a while, pop the covers off and get some penetrating oil such as Plus Gas on them a few days before.
Refit with a thin smear of copper slip and they’ll come off by hand next time you need to get them off.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
If the wiper arms havent been off in a while, pop the covers off and get some penetrating oil such as Plus Gas on them a few days before.
Refit with a thin smear of copper slip and they’ll come off by hand next time you need to get them off.

100% this, mine came off with a wiggle and a pull as always use copper slip. Makes life so much easier for future jobs

Reactions: IRK