BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I can think of 100 reasons why I love winter, in alot of ways its my favourite season. I love the cold, crisp, early mornings, I love paddling the calm waters of the Lakes in a canoe, I love climbing the snow topped mountains at the crack of dawn armed with an ice pick and crampons, I love the slow but challenging B road drives through the lakes and I love the mountain biking because they are some of the most eventful and insane rides ever, and last but certainly not least NO TOURISTS !! :D

Anyone else like winter ??

Reaction score
I love those bitterly cold but bright sunny days, best enjoyed through a country walk :D oh and the sunsets - gorgeous deep reds and golden yellows, with the sun low in the sky early in the afternoon.

Log fires crackling...

Superb!

Mind you I don't enjoy standing in the freezing cold on the station platform in the morning..

Reaction score
Brrrrr....pretty cold this morning, bring on global warming I'd say!

Reaction score
I'm with you on that one mate, love the freezing mornings and getting warm in your car first thing, agree with the mountain bike rides, and that great sunny-but-cold saturday morning car wash when you wash away all the road grime from your car and get it looking like a shiny penny...

Winter is ace

Reaction score
Great photos ben!

One thing i missed - the moutain bike rides - agree on that, although Essex aka land of the pancake mountains isn't quite on par with the lakes.. Hey ho, it'll do me!

Reaction score
Great pics, the water is so calm on some of those. Who are those crazy fools up the hill and which trig point is that ?

I also agree on the mountain bike, I'm hoping it's dryand frosty Friday morning so I can go for a ride as I don't like getting wet, I just don't fancy falling off onto frozen ground.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thats the spirit guys.

Berty - Those crazy fools are me and some guys who I do alot of hiking with. The 2 mountain pictures were taken on Striding edge, Helvellyn, Striding edge is only a grade 1 scramble (grade 1 is the easiest grade) but it was alot harder covered in snow and quite dangerous, I never had crampons that day either. The bottom picture (of the pics above) is of me almost at the summit of Helvellyn, as you can see the views were spectacular :roll: .

Essex aka land of the pancake mountains isn't quite on par with the lakes.. Hey ho, it'll do me!

Ha ha :lol: . At least you dont have to carry your bikes anywhere, most of our rides consist of carrying (literally). But NOTHING could have prepared me for the 7000ft overall climb up Snowdon (Twice in 1day) ! Never experienced so much pain in my life.

17-10-09Snowdonia059.jpg

Reaction score
I loved winter in the Alps. Not so sure I'm keen in the UK. More fun in the summer here (biking, trackdays etc). Actually though the Alps are fantastic in the summer. All you mountain bikers should get out there. Personally, I preferto take the lifts up and enjoy the rides down. Try climbing on a downhill bike! :D

Attachments

• Trophy_Austria_mini_01_small.jpg
    Trophy_Austria_mini_01_small.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Austria_panorama_hut.jpg
    Austria_panorama_hut.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 10

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
That looks ace.

My sisters boyfriend has been to the alps mountain biking, said the riding was fantastic. I would like to do some mountaineering out there too.

Group Holiday to the Alps anyone ??

Reaction score
Ben, you would love it. I've usually been biking around the typical (full of brits) Morzine area but you can find great rides just about everywhere now. The scenery looks amazing in the lakes too. I've never been unfortunately.