Trophy Steering rack / Inner Tie Rods

Reaction score
Trophy No.
After spending the last few weeks researching the steering system on the Trophy, I decided to buy a used rack off a semi-local seller on eBay and took it all apart, just really for my own knowledge and an ideal spare. It was removed from a 172 Cup, and from discussions on Cliosport, the tie rods are equal length to that of the Trophy.

Last year I had MOT advisories for track rod end play and a weeping inside steering gaiter so decided this weekend to get the parts to replace everything I could, which included both inner tie rods and outer track rod ends.

Having searched for a decent tool to remove the inner ties, I couldn't find anything suitable to remove the ones from the second hand rack, let alone the ones on the car with limited space. I am no expert, but with a special tool from my mechanic, the job was done.

Reason for the post was wondering whether I should bother stripping the steering rack down to refresh it as a decent spare? Are they a sealed unit and either work or don't? Who is also running original tie rods / TRE 's like mine were?

Very pleased to have it all done and looking forward to the next few months driving it. Images of the final stage and a decent front wheel alignment.

Attachments

• DSC_0291.JPG
    DSC_0291.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0290.JPG
    DSC_0290.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 19

MC1

Reaction score
Renault will sell you the proper inner tie rod tool, they're cheaper than you'd think and last a lifetime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk