Trophy No88 - Stolen - Edinburgh

Reaction score
so sorry to hear. Those bastards!! do you have any information you can share?

VIN + Rego would be handy to share too to see if any parts pop up.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
What awful news, very sorry to hear this.

Any images of the car or notable distinguishing features / peculiarities to look out for?

Perhaps worth sharing on other Cliosport forums & Facebook groups to make it and the associated parts too hot to handle.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Im from Edinburgh & Lothians so will keep an eye out.

Do you have details of the car E.G Reg, Mods, Area, Date & Time.

I would get it all over the following as like @photo_ed you want this too hot to touch for months.
The quicker you act the better the chance.

Cliosport Owners Club - Scotland

Cliosport Owners Club

Renault Cars & Parts For Sale

Cliosport Sale & Parts UK

Then then all the forums -

CS.net

Clio197/200.net

Turbo Renault

Pistonheads

Reaction score
It will be difficult to sell in bits also - particularly the red (pink) bits as it will flag up straight away!

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
@jsthomson any Updates on this ?
I have not seen anything posted anywhere on forum's or social media that it is stolen?

I know if it was my car i would have it plastered everywhere.

Reaction score
@jsthomson any Updates on this ?
I have not seen anything posted anywhere on forum's or social media that it is stolen?

I know if it was my car i would have it plastered everywhere.
Not sure I would, I’d be gutted, but I’d take the agreed value and move on. Would I want it back not knowing what had happened in it or how it had been used? Hopefully I never find myself in that position.

IRK

Reaction score
Trophy No.
So sorry to hear about this and hope the outcome is positive.

Seems a strange car to pinch with the rarity and unique build number attached. Can't imagine it would be possible to shift on as a whole and parts will be easy to identify if they come up.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Not sure I would, I’d be gutted, but I’d take the agreed value and move on. Would I want it back not knowing what had happened in it or how it had been used? Hopefully I never find myself in that position.

Not everyone has Agreed Value on there car and a lot of insurance company's now don't offer it.
I have found that the Clio is not yet in the "Classic" car range and a lot of insurance company's will only give you agreed if you have a independent valuation from the Institute of motor engineer's. Some just class it as a 182 so agree'd values are now becoming slim.

Like you i would move on and want it over with but i would also like the car to be recovered or the people caught for what they have done regardless and the way i would do that is making sure that its too hot to touch and well covered that its been stolen so that you could not sell anything from it and you could not move the car on.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - Apologies, I've not been on here lately a bit depressing, to be honest.

Thank you for all the support.

Firstly - even if the car is found I don't want it back. So yes, I'd take the settlement - loved the car but it wouldn't be the same.

Insurance company - they have come back to me today and offered £4260 for the car.

Thoughts on this, please?

They have not asked for any history, repair bills which I have many etc...

The guy on the phone was being nice about it but pretty damn stubborn too which was frustrating - I understand that insurance people don't have feelings for your car but come on...

What do people generally do:
I am new to the whole situation - should I fight this figure by writing a long-winded letter to the insurance company stating all the different process I find trying to convince them. Then speak to the insurance ombudsman and then possibly have to take legal action etc etc or take the amount they have offered...?

Thanks again, peeps!

Regards,
jsghtomson

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i'd be holding out for £7k at least, given that there hasn't been one sold for less than that in a few years. if you can find two or three for sale - use them as the examples.

If they won't go higher, then you need to make a formal complain. The ombudsman can't get involved until you've had a response to the formal complaint, the insurer has iirc 60 days to respond. Then your evidence to the value will have the ombudsman dictating the value.

Reaction score
A Trophy was sold recently on Collecting Cars for £7k. Have a look at the 'sold' section. All the details are still there I believe. That may offer you some evidence of recent market value? There is another T that will be auctioned off shortly. Good luck.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ask them to provide current sales price evidence by way of adverts, if not send them a few of the current ones for sale on eBay, then they will struggle ;)

Reaction score
If you think their initial offer is a fair reflection of the condition and mileage of yours, plus you value your time and want to avoid the effort you might need to put in to possibly get a better offer, then take it.

Without any details of your car I’ll assume it wasn’t on 150k miles and in bad shape therefore the payout is probably on the low side. Plus they’re a business, they’re unlikely to make a ‘proper’ offer as their opening gambit, instead they could be chancing their arm to see who needs money quickly, which I’m sure happens a lot.

Personally, I’d probably write a lengthy letter rejecting the offer, citing as many positive factors about your car which boost its perceived value, then I’d provide 3-5 examples of similar cars that have sold, making clear if you wanted to buy a replacement that’s what you’d need to pay, after all, that’s what insurance is for.

Whichever way you decide to go I’m really sorry for your loss and wish you all the best for the future.

Tim

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my reply to the insurance co...

David,

I had a very quick look at last night and

Classic and Sports Car - https://www.classicandsportscar.com/features/buyers-guide-renault-clio-172182

182 Trophy
  • Show/rebuilt: £8000
  • Average: £6000
  • Restoration: £2500
(rare Liquid Yellow cars are up to £1500 more)
AND
Clio Trophy - 120,498 miles
https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2005-renaultsport-clio-182-trophy
SOLD
VIEWERS8,240
WATCHING161
AUCTION FINISHED29th Jun 2020BIDS27
WINNING BID£7,000

I am not expecting the above figure but the there is a big difference… esp when mine had 64k miles.

Thank you,
Regards,

jsgthomson

Reaction score
If your car had 64k miles I wouldn't accept any less than 7k.