Trophy engine failed / died / cam belt slipped

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well what an eventful few days it's been, the T had an oil top up at Eurocarparts and slow drive back to my work and - BANG the car sounded like it had a terminal failure. Just about ran, heavy knocking from the top end under load, almost failed to start, AA guy guessed cam shaft fail, then recovered to my local Renault 'expert'.

He whipped it into his workshop on Thursday evening and he started to strip some components off the engine. Instant discovery was plastic pieces stuck in the cam belt and some minor rip marks. He did a compression test and all four readings were spot on. He checked the timing and it was a good way out, and of course then alarm bells ring as usually would assume Pistons collide with valves.

He decided to put a new belt kit on it and replace the dephaser pulley, both of which I was planning to do next year when they were due. Had 'the call' this morning and hey presto, the car is running like a dream! My mechanic fitted a cam belt cover (it was missing) and gave the T a replacement set of spark plugs and fresh oil change and picking it up Monday.

Relieved is an understatement and for any of you who ponder on anything belt related....get it done!

Reaction score
And when the belts get done, get them done by someone that knows how to do it properly. A tiny bit out is not good for these engines. I've heard shocking stories of so called 'experts' fouling it up. Use someone that knows what they're doing if you can. Mike at RenTech, Fred at BTM or Mark Fish. They all have pretty outstanding reputations for doing things right.

Good to hear yours survived.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
And when the belts get done, get them done by someone that knows how to do it properly. A tiny bit out is not good for these engines. I've heard shocking stories of so called 'experts' fouling it up. Use someone that knows what they're doing if you can. Mike at RenTech, Fred at BTM or Mark Fish. They all have pretty outstanding reputations for doing things right.

Good to hear yours survived.

Completely agree, although my location down in the SW is never the best for the well known experts. My mechanic has all the genuine locking tools and built a 360 bhp Turbo 182 so he knows his stuff. It was reassuring to know that it was a mechanical breakdown in one of the pulleys so just 'one of those things'.

Reaction score
You have to question what kind of arsehole replaced the timing belt without refitting the cover!