Reaction score
My girlfriend is about to purchase a new car, well, used but around the age of my Trophy. I have told her that she has to start looking after this one and it has surfaced the discussion regarding car care. My car was Permaguarded by duffer987 and for the last 2 and a bit years under my wing, I have continued to get the annual top up. As has been openly discussed, a number of us have received poor service from the London PG group and this has led some of us to seriously consider whether or not to continue with the product.

What I want to know is, if I were to choose not to continue with it, what should I expect to have to do to keep the car looking as good as it does at present, both in terms of time spent, products used and cost incurred?

..Discuss! Thanks in advance! :D

Reaction score
I've had my car for about 8 months now, when i got the car i spent about two days cleaning it, had the bumpers, lights, wheels off and all sorts, i basically washed, washed, clayed, washed, polished, polished then gave it two coats of a decent carnauba wax, after this i just wash the car weekly and it has stayed looking really shiny and just generally clean. Although i am about to give it a good going over again like when i first got the car as the water is sitting on the car like it use to.

I personally think the key is a good wax then just keeping on top of it.

I use zymol products mainly and probably spend about £100 a year. HTH

Just had a look at the wax i use and it's Harly wax which i paid £18 for.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Sponge, bucket of water with a squirt of fairy.

Jobs a good un :)

Reaction score
As above really, give it a clay, polish if the surface is scratched / swirled, then use a synthetic sealant / wax. There are some pretty durable waxes like collinite that will mean you don't have to top up with wax that regularly. It should work out cheaper than permaguard if you're willing to put a few days in a year on it.

Reaction score
hoolio said:

Liar :lol: :p - thanks for the contribution J..!!! :p

Cheers for opinions so far guys.

Interested to know how long it takes to become proficient with a rotary polisher and also with clay? - Quite frightened of clay due to the ease of wrecking paintwork?!

Also, thoughts on the necessity of using a professional detailer once a year or just doing it all myself?

Reaction score
hoolio said:

Pfft you don't need a bucket and sponge, just squirt a bit of fairy on the roof when it looks like it's about to pi** it down, simple!!!

Reaction score
Mine is just washed regurlarly about twice a week normally and polished atleast once a month depending on our marvellous weather, still nice & shiny, everything i use is autoglym

Only thing i cant seem 2 keep clean is my wheels they always get dirty quickly.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Man said:
julio said:

Pfft you don't need a bucket and sponge, just squirt a bit of fairy on the roof when it looks like it's about to pi** it down, simple!!!

Don't do this kids, you will ruin your paintwork quicker than a brillo pad wielding maniac. :)

If you want some heavy reading, Detailing world is excellent (my idea of heaven in fact :) ) i'll drag up some links later.
Claying is easy and you get good results without too much hard work, the secret is to use lots of lube, fold often and let the clay do the work.
Rotary polishing is an art form that just takes lots of practice, preferably on other peoples cars.

If you are going to use a professional you may as well carry on with the PG it will probably be cheaper.

Reaction score
i always use autoglym products as i think its the best value all round. i use clean wheels, car shampoo, tyre dressing, metal polish, tar remover, car glasss,wash blade, chamois then finish off with high def wax. car looks showroom condition everytime

Ajr

Reaction score
I use various products, wash the car when possible(usually around once every few weeks to a month, which can cover over 2000 miles) but when i do wash it i do it properly and apply protection(sealant as it usually lasts far longer than wax)

If i didn't do such a huge amount of miles, i'd apply some of my different waxes to get a better finish but it's not worth it really. One of my mates is very proficient with a machine polisher, has a proper paint depth gauge too and did a whole panel of my T with his makita full rotary where it was mindlessly vandalised by someone at work who was jealous of my car, worked well! There are barely any swirls on my car either.
I always pressure wash the dirt off, two microfibre mitts & 2 buckets for washing, waffle microfibre for drying, polish a few times a year(have a choice of proper megs polishes or access to several detailing world geeks supplies) then apply sealant & wax. Trim & tyre detail comes last.

Reaction score
I did use autoglym stuff, had a white car worked really well, then had a black metalic car. Catch it in the sun light and it looked awful, swirl city and all that. Then found the turtle wax colour magic, never looked back since. Covers minor swirls, though needs doing once a week really. On the Trophy use the colour magic, then go over it will a clean duster etc. Have since applied the autoglym perfectionist wax (gold label), seems to give it a deeper shine ( so am using the autoglym again)

Shows up any inperfections like some 'a hole' opening a door on my car..... :x

Thats my pennies worth anyway..

Have noticed my handles are looking slightly pinky in certain light, anyone else got this ?

Reaction score
This is what a mate did mine with last year

Clayed with Fine poly clay.
Polished with megs#83 on medium pad
Polished with meg#80 on light pad
Polished with Sonus final finish on red SFX pad
Two coats of Chemical Guys Jetseal109 Sealant
Waxed with Collinite 476s
Wiped with Sonus Quick Detailer to remove wax residue.

Here is the thread
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5468

Ive been doing it myself since but not to the extent he did it, going to get him to do it again soon.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Who is going to admit to polishing their wheels ?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
BenG said:
Who is going to admit to polishing their wheels ?

And what's so wrong with that? :)

Actually if you polish and seal your wheels you will get far less grief from brake dust.

Reaction score
Nothing i polish mine

Polished wheels and plenty of tyre black looks mint

Reaction score
Clay, polish, wax, then a wheel seal and then 6 months of just hosing the wheels off.

As i've said before if you put the effort in to start with it really is very easy to keep a car looking like new.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Polish AND Seal !! :eek:

That must take ages. It takes me an hour and a half to clean my wheels properly, I do them every week and never have a problem with brake dust.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Clay, polish, wax, then a wheel seal and then 6 months of just hosing the wheels off.

Honestly ! May have to try that...