Reaction score
Had the Trophy for a few weeks now, but haven't shown it off yet so I thought I may as well start a thread!

I had a 106 Rallye that was one of the best condition S2s around, so getting rid of it was quite emotional! I'd grown really attached to its no-nonsense approach to delivering its drive, but it had 130k on its original 8v and I fancied a change. It sold within three days of putting its advertisement on Pistonheads, so the hunt for a new weekend/dry weather car was on. I'd contemplated a DC2, but ultimately went where my heart was and bought a Trophy. My dad had a Trophy when I was a young 'un, so I always knew I'd have one of my own as I have such great memories of that car.

A few days after the Rallye drove away, I was the proud owner of #490. I've been fortunate enough to drive every notable hot hatch due to my work, but there's still something truly memorable about how a Trophy attacks a great road and in my opinion it's one of the all-time greats. The Yorkshire Dales is on my doorstep, and up there it's a formidable thing.

It's got a Milltek exhaust, a new steering wheel as the original was showing the usual signs of wear (surprise, surprise), and its belts have just been done. Its dampers feel fine when driving, but they're yet to have a refurb so they're going to be done within a few weeks too, just for peace of mind. I'm keeping an eye on the damper refurb thread, as I'd love to know a place that offers a similar service to BG, albeit a little cheaper.

Since buying it, the obligatory silver visions have gone in, some new Renaultsport mats have freshened up the interior, and I've had a new windscreen fitted as there was an annoying chip right down the middle. It's just had a routine service, an air con re-gas, and some Eibach springs. I am after some xenons too, so if anybody's selling any, drop me a PM!

Also, is it just my car that's got an intrusive ESP system? It's really annoying me at the minute, as it cuts in far too much and it's making me disable it every single time I'm in it. I can recall my dad's Trophy having a great system that hardly ever interfered, so if anyone else has a similar problem please do tell what it could be. Could it be damper related?

Anyway, here are a few photos...

The Rallye:
002-4.jpg

The Trophy:
IMG_0665.jpg
IMG_0668.jpg
IMG_0651.jpg
IMG_0652.jpg
IMG_0686.jpg
IMG_0657.jpg

Reaction score
Welcome. First problem with the ESP i've heard about, they should be relatively unobtrusive. Mine only seems to work when the car is actually sideways. Any chance a past owner has had something aftermarket fitted? (If possible?)

Lovely Rallye by the way :cool:

Reaction score
I changed from an S1 Rallye myself. Which I was lucky enough to be able to keep. Now at 70k from new, people still offer me cash for it. Although it could do with some work in my opinion, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

I found the change great. Lot's of things the same, but a lot of modern day differences. Particularly the power. Yet the driving sensation you experience similar.

Never had an issue with the ESP myself. You really have to be in maximum attack mode to get the warning light on.

As for your dad having one when you were a 'young un', it's only seven years old! You're still young!

Enjoy the Trophy.