Reaction score
What can people tell me about them. Do you know of any good companies to go with. If anyone else is interested would they do a group buy?
After reading about the chap who had his Trophy mugged from him, i've got to get one fitted now.

Reaction score
I've decided on this one.
http://www.tracker.co.uk/home.php?SVR

Its £624.00, but that is no anual subscription, just a duration of ownership as i plan to have the car for five years at least i'll save 200 squid in the long run.
Going for the retrieve system.

If anyone else is interested i'll contact them regarding a group buy.

Reaction score
I don't know if I would want a tracker either, I mean why would I want my Trophy back once some little scrot has raged the hell out of it...

Reaction score
Trackers are usually only put on cars worth more than £25k

Reaction score
Well what about remote imobilisers? Does anyone know if an alarm system offers this option?

Reaction score
Don't know anything about them, sounds like a good idea though...let us know what you find out...I can't search the internet at home as I only have old school dial up and it would take forever! :roll: Will have a look at work on Monday though...Also this sytem in conjunction with a tracker could be a seriously good (but maybe expensive) way of keeping you car yours...still can't get my head round Jordan's story, it is so harsh.

Reaction score
Im going to get one of these. They look fantastic. When the bastards steal the car, they drive half a mile and the car comes to a complete stop with all lights flashing and horn sounding. I can then waltz up to the car get in and drive away.

http://www.vos.be/jack%2Dit/

Because they transmit radio waves , in this country they are illegal but then -SO IS STEALING MY CAR!!!

Ive emailed them and will probably take a quick day trip to get it fitted. Will help with the running in as well!

Reaction score
Alternatively again, and much less fun than Kinnyboy's idea =D> , is to get the £300 gap cover from Renault, which gives you back the invoice price of your motor when it gets lost or totalled. I got this, anyway...

Reaction score
Kinnyboy, before you buy anything, check these two out:

SPAL ANTI CAR JACK (£250 fitted)
http://www.sempal.co.uk/acatalog/VEHICL ... STEMS.html

CLIFFORD BLACKJAX 4 (£230 fitted)
http://www.car-stuff.net/store/scripts/ ... product=30

Spoke to the installer about the blackjax and he said you need to be sure that the car doesnt have a databus (cambus?) as the ingnition circuit needs to be cut to install it. Usually only Merc's and high end cars have this, but worth being sure.

Thinking of having something like this installed myself when the car arrives, as well as the window film that stops people butting a brick through the side windows - so let me know what you go for and how much it costs.

DH

Reaction score
My mother is an insurance broker and i showed her the GAP insurance thingie, she didn't seem to think it was much good. I phone up a couple of other insurance companies to see what their GAP cover was like and its pretty much the same across the board. Something to do with the wording she said.

If trackers aren't for cars under 25k, then the anti car jack thing seems great.

I'll be getting one of these!! SPAL ANTI CAR JACK (£250 fitted)
http://www.sempal.co.uk/acatalog/VEHICL ... STEMS.html

Why are they illegal?

Reaction score
The reason they are illegal is roughly that they work by transmitting radio signals and its illegal in this country to transmit radio signals without a broadcasting license. This is similar to the old days of CB radio when your dad would have this contraption set up in the living room and shout "breaker, breaker" just before the police burst in and arrest him!!

I also intend to break the law further with an iPod radio thing ive just bought. I plug it in the top of my iPod and then it transmits my iPod to an FM signal which I then tune my car radio in to. This saves me having to pull the radio out of the dash and plug in the AUX input.

Reaction score
But can i buy the device in this country? If it stops my car from getting pinched, i'll gladly break the law.
What are the iPod broadcasters like? I've been looking at the Alpine ipod stereo but that sounds like an option.

Reaction score
A guy I work with has one of the ipod broadcasters and he loved it for a week (while it was his new toy), but is already looking for something better, as the quality of the sound is like a cheap radio, even though its being played through a quality car stereo.

Reaction score
hmmm, so really i'd be better off getting the Alpine Stereo which connects to the ipod. I just hate having lots of cds in the car.

Reaction score
kinnyboy, i've had an itrip which does what you said for the ipod. Used it a couple of times but the quality isn't great as diehard says. Also i spent to much time mucking around with the ipod menu. Im going to get device alpine do for £60 i believe. Then buy a alpine headunit that lets me control the ipod from the headunit.

Reaction score
I like the blackjack idea... i thought you could dial in a stp command from your mobile?
I have a alpine ipod combo and can report its really good! Not perfect but good!

Reaction score
Been checking out the Clifford Blackjax on the 'tinterweb and a lot of people are having problems with it.
You have to put a pin number in everytime you start the car as well apparently!!
The Jack-It one I gave the link to is about £350 fitted and doesn't need any codes etc. It works in the 'keyless-go' type area where the car will detect the credit card type thing as you get in the car and
allow you to start it. If the car goes without you it detects its not there and after a moment stops the car after which you simply get in and it starts again. Obviously you need to go to Belgium/France to get it fitted but im still considering it. Just pisses me off that we are forced to take these measures cos of these dirty crims.