To Brembo or not

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Essentially the question is to upgrade to Brembo 197 calipers or not on a Trophy, bearing in mind wanting to keep the car as authentic as possible.

The most valued Trophy's are obviously ones with low milage and totally OEM, however how much do these subtle changes impact value?

Reaction score
At the end of the day there is an opinion that four pots on an N/A 1*2 are overkill.

Personally, if I had the money I probably would, but it does go against keeping the car standard.

If a buyer wants a standard car and an identical one to yours is up for sale but without the 'upgraded' brakes, they'll buy the other one.

How much will it add to the value of the car? As much as someone is prepared to pay.

What's the current mileage and spec? Has it been fettled much or is it as it left the factory?

Reaction score
I think the Brembos do look good - especially in red, but I don't think they would add any value to the car. But if you ever were to sell you could just put the original brakes back on and sell the Brembo setup. You wouldn't lose much money that way.
For a road car it is overkill imho but they look the part and if I had the money to spend on it, I would!

Reaction score
Your car, enjoy it . Mod it. Don't mod it. Appreciate a couple of thread recently have talked about keeping things standard. I just don't think that these will ever be collectors cars in that sense. V6 yes, recaros, yes, Sachs 100% need to be on a red trophy. Brakes...Two identical cars bar one has brembos. I know which one I am handing over the cash for.

what was a trophy new £14k..in 2005? when we thinking a trophy is going to bust that cos you have the most perfect original car. Not seen a single trophy for sale for more than 8k recently. V6 yes have gone into silly money for the best examples. I just can't ever see that happening with a Trophy. It's really a posh 182, not unique car like a v6.

i don't know what else is evolved with brembos. Talk of master cyclinders and brake reductions for the rear. Do it right however and it's a stunning mod.

botttom line .. Enjoy it.

Reaction score
no to upgrade on brakes, spend a spring day cleaning what you have, get the wheels off (repair the rubber gaitors again probably) pressure wash the inner wheel arches, and clean the back of those wheels, clean the brake discs, and make the hidden bits of the car look good, you will feel better about brakes you have. ps surely good brakes only make you go slower!!

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys, much more to think about and chew the fat on.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
The calipers on mine are pretty shabby, but Mark Fish mentioned you can get properly painted originals for not a crazy amount of money, so I think I might go down that route at the next service.