Reaction score
Hi guys, well after signing up as member 3 years ago with the intention of buying i finally picked up a Trophy on Monday....got there in the end!:D

Now the confusion....

I have been looking at old posts about the Sachs suspesion for the last few days now but still have some questions that i am confused about (not hard)

1, Do the rear Sachs shocks ever get refurbed by BG? Guessing not seeing as a new shock it about £100 per side?

2, Think i have answered question 2 buy answering question 1! So its about £400 for oil and seals on just the fronts? More if you need shafts.

3, Are the front shocks adjustable in anyway as standard or do they need to be de-pinned?

4, Whats the advatage of the Koni shocks over the Sachs rears?

5, How much roughly are second hand Sachs in need of a refurb worth? I intend to buy new as not convinced its worth getting them refurbed!

Sorry for all the questions! (There will be more to come!)

Cheers,
Mike

Reaction score
Hi Mike lets try and answer your questions

1. No these are a sealed unit can not be reworked.

2. yes more if new shafts are needed, in the region of £700 with new shafts and unpinned.

3. No they come glued and pinned from factory.

4.Adjustable for rebound,also available are re-valved koni's.

5.Varies widely,as much as someone is willing to pay on the day?

I hope this goes some way to answer your questions and i expect other members will add more.

Enjoy your new toy :cool:

Reaction score
Cheers!

Re the Koni's. I seen they were adjustable but why do people feel the need to change from the Sachs shocks? I will be buying new fronts so won't be adjustable anyway.

Mike

Reaction score
Because the Konis are cheaper and better along with being damping adjustable compared to the standard items.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Got my rear Sachs units last summer for less than £50 each so keep your eyes and ears open!

Always use parts reunited website who check all dealers for old stock!

Reaction score
Yes i know there adjustable Stevo. But better in what way? Considering all the reviews of the Trophy were with Sachs shocks they can't be bad, not saying they can't be improved upon but just saying there better does not mean much IMO.

Cheers Bearne, will keep an eye open!

Mike

Reaction score
Mike - welcome.

Have you registered your T? Where on planet earth are you located? After waiting 3 years, how are you finding the T experience?

Reaction score
Yes i know there adjustable Stevo. But better in what way? Considering all the reviews of the Trophy were with Sachs shocks they can't be bad, not saying they can't be improved upon but just saying there better does not mean much IMO.

The rear Sachs are too soft when compared to the fronts, which leeds to understeer when pushing on towards the limit.

By fitting the rear Konis, or adding a Whiteline ARB to the rear end with the standard dampers, you stiffen up the rear end so it is more comparable to the front - giving the car a more neutral balance when on the limit of adhesion :)

Reaction score
I think the main benefit with the koni's is that you can adjust them so you can better match the fronts. If you're not going to unpin the front then they are less necessary. As Dave said they should stiffen the rear which should help reduce understeer but I would choose the Whiteline ARB for this if the rear Sachs are ok.

Reaction score
New Sachs ordered all round with new top mounts, wishbones and TRE's! (anything else i should be ordering while i am refreshing the suspension?)

1 front damper is unavailable at the moment, anyone any idea how long that means?

Mike

Reaction score
New Sachs ordered all round with new top mounts, wishbones and TRE's! (anything else i should be ordering while i am refreshing the suspension?)

1 front damper is unavailable at the moment, anyone any idea how long that means?

Mike

Is it the driver side that is unavailable? It's been nearly 2 months and I'm still waiting for the driver side damper. I have the correct near side and a almost identical looking Twingo R1 rally car damper for the offside. Renault UK have been calling me twice a week since I registered a complain with them in getting the correct offside damper. They only call to say that I am still on their "high priority" list and that they have no date as to when the damper will be available from their supplier. Have you registered with Renault UK about this? If not I would do so. It is frustrating to say the least as the offside damper on my car is now soft.

Jon

Reaction score
Trophy No.
They do come with the balljoints, but those ones wont fit - the 182 Cup/Trophy wishbones are Renault only, the normal 1*2 ones wont fit. Same with the track rods :)

The ball joints/track rods are interchangeable however.

From my searching around and front end 'refresh' earlier this year, pretty sure all the 172/182 wishbones are the same as long as you have the slot type fitment for the ARB bracket.

Reaction score
Trophy No.

Mike

I also had both front wheel bearings replaced, partly due to winning 1 of the 2 for 99p on Ebay!

The 182 Cup / Trophy bearings are bigger and on the expensive side (and a bugger to replace)

Reaction score
They do come with the balljoints, but those ones wont fit - the 182 Cup/Trophy wishbones are Renault only, the normal 1*2 ones wont fit. Same with the track rods :)

The ball joints/track rods are interchangeable however.

I have ordered from Renault, so hoping they are the right ones!

Is it the driver side that is unavailable? It's been nearly 2 months and I'm still waiting for the driver side damper. I have the correct near side and a almost identical looking Twingo R1 rally car damper for the offside. Renault UK have been calling me twice a week since I registered a complain with them in getting the correct offside damper. They only call to say that I am still on their "high priority" list and that they have no date as to when the damper will be available from their supplier. Have you registered with Renault UK about this? If not I would do so. It is frustrating to say the least as the offside damper on my car is now soft.

Jon

Wish i never asked! Really hope it is not that long, will miss the summer!

Can't remember TBH Jon, will phone in the morning and check! As for registering with Renault UK, not yet as i only ordered the other day.

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if the front shocks are "scored"?

Cheers.