Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm contemplating some decent coilovers for my RS Twingo but have a question or two...

The Twingo is based on the Mk2 Clio platform, with the rear beam axle having the usual clio style seperate springs and dampers. Front suspension is set to similar angles as the Trophy and shares the same 60mm bolt spacing... Although I will need to make up a bracket to attach my ARB to, as the droplink is currently mounted onto the damper body.

Being as the Trophy is one of the better handling B-road cars and the similarity in the setup, I stumbled upon here, originaly thinking of Trophy dampers, but then realising they are getting in short supply or seem to be needing a regular rebuild. Hence also looking into the H&R coilovers which are listed for the Trophy/182 Cup.

The pictures I have been able to find of H&R coilovers show the rears without any upper spring platforms. Problem being the Twingo and most Mk2 Clios only have a bumpstop ontop of the damper, hence no means of securing a spring in place. So, what extra parts are needed to fit them as a coilover if they aren't supplied ready to fit?

Pics, suggestions appreciated.
Neil.

Reaction score
The pictures I have been able to find of H&R coilovers show the rears without any upper spring platforms. Problem being the Twingo and most Mk2 Clios only have a bumpstop ontop of the damper, hence no means of securing a spring in place. So, what extra parts are needed to fit them as a coilover if they aren't supplied ready to fit?

After fitting, when you lower the car back down to the floor, the spring is held in place between the rubber top thing (technical term) and the bottom spring platform. As below:

IMG_1806.jpg

Same as the standard setup:
DSC04025.jpg

Personally, i found that H&R's rattled quite a bit at the rear compared to standard - as you can see, with what id call a sensible ride height (ie not slammed), the springs are very closely bound at the top allowing for very little travel when compared to the Sportlines (close to standard) shown below.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thats perfect, thanks Dave.

I wasn't sure if the H&R's were a proper coilover rear unit... Turns out they are the same setup as standard, with a seperate spring. So that must have just been generic photos with a coilover unit :(. The Apex lowering springs I have fitted and also H&R springs for the Twingo are also coilbound in the middle but don't have the height adjustable platforns beneath them.

So it still looks like the only true Coilover rear is the AST units. (or the Ohlins units from the R2 rally car as a significant price difference)

I'm VERY reluctant to try Weitec again as i had a set on the A3 and they were rubbish. Uneven spring rates on two sets, crashy ride as they have short stiff springs to get a low height and they were badly rusted after a year.

Have any of you tried BC Racing coilovers? They developed a set for the RS Twingo. But, to my knowledge the only car they have gone on is a bit of a garage queen Vs my 14,000 miles per year on scottish B-roads

Reaction score
Thats perfect, thanks Dave.

I wasn't sure if the H&R's were a proper coilover rear unit... Turns out they are the same setup as standard, with a seperate spring. So that must have just been generic photos with a coilover unit :(. The Apex lowering springs I have fitted and also H&R springs for the Twingo are also coilbound in the middle but don't have the height adjustable platforns beneath them.

So it still looks like the only true Coilover rear is the AST units. (or the Ohlins units from the R2 rally car as a significant price difference)

I'm VERY reluctant to try Weitec again as i had a set on the A3 and they were rubbish. Uneven spring rates on two sets, crashy ride as they have short stiff springs to get a low height and they were badly rusted after a year.

Have any of you tried BC Racing coilovers? They developed a set for the RS Twingo. But, to my knowledge the only car they have gone on is a bit of a garage queen Vs my 14,000 miles per year on scottish B-roads

Havent tried the BC Racings, but a friend has Meister R's which are reputedly very similar which he's pretty impressed with, pillowball top mounts, fully adjustable monotube dampers etc, so certainly worth a try - although being the guinea pig for a setup is never the cheapest way of doing things! Especially if it goes wrong ...

Re: coilover rears, SPAX (via 519 Automotive) have developed a coilover rear for 182 cup pack fitment so that might be an option worth looking into, although they are twin tube only, albeit fully adjustable.

Have you considered trying to find some Sachs dampers from a Trophy at all? They do come up for sale at crica £250 unrefurbed and Cornering Force will now fix them up for another £250 or so - giving you a great front setup for £500, simply add some Eibach Sportlines (£120) and perhaps Koni adjustable rear dampers (£180) and you have a very good setup - essentially the default Trophy upgrade path in fact!!

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
although being the guinea pig for a setup is never the cheapest way of doing things! Especially if it goes wrong ...
Oh yes, that I'm aware of. My Twingo is still down at K-tec untill we can get it running on the new stage 2 profile cams. Theres currently too much overlap for the MAP sensor to cope with at idle. Playing with the cam timing and then developing the standalone ECU for a way forwards. 1.6 K4M 174bhp (when its running right)

The Sachs dampers were why I originaly looked here, but since then, I've seen quite a few posts about reconditioned dampers not lasting long. Which kind of puts me off if its going to be a recuring bill and hastle

Reaction score
Well, after much deliberating I have just ordered the BC Racing
BR Series Coilover : Type RA
For Street and Circuit Use

Specifications
Top Mount Type : Camber Pillowball Front, No Rear
Front Spring Rate : 7kg/mm (392lbs/in)
Front Damper : 30 point adjustment
Rear Spring Rate : 9kg/mm (504lbs/in)
Rear Damper : 30 point adjustment

Front Ride height : Adjustable -15mm to approx -75mm (lower
than -60mm the wheels wont turn)
Rear Ride height : Adjustable using shims,
approx, -50 / -44 / -38 / -32mm
Which look like this and have a 60mm spacing, so I guess they would fit the Trophy.
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/starletollie/BCracingcoiloversTwingoRS.jpg

I was thinking of the setup from the R1 rally Twingo, which you lot may recognise :)
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk180/mashish420/Jim Clark Rally 2012/IMG_3472.jpg

Attachments

• BCracingcoiloversTwingoRS.jpg
    BCracingcoiloversTwingoRS.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 23