MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Well as the car is off the road and i managed to get this paint from work for £3.00 i decided to spray the rocker.

I had the engine running for 20mins to warm it up so the paint was not going to take ages to dry.
Masked it all up and covered everything i could, Wiped it all down, Cleaned it the best i could with a rag and brake cleaner and brushed it all down.

Gave the rocker the first coat and then waited around 30mins before the second coat and then around an hour for the 3rd coat.

Rocker01.jpg

Rocker02.jpg

Rocker04.jpg

Rocker06.jpg

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Built it back up last night and it does look a lot cleaner but the pictures show it as being a lot lighter.

Rocker07.jpg

Rocker08.jpg

Rocker09.jpg

Im now thinking about doing it black or more of an aluminium to match the inlets.

Reaction score
Good job! It looks tidy! I'm in the process of tidying my engine bay up and I have painted my rocker capsicum red. I have a few more things to do and also I'm waiting on new engine mounts arriving but when I'm finished I'll post a few pics up to see what you think.

Reaction score
Nice work Marc, i plan to powder coat mine in satin black, if i ever get around to doing it.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Nice work Marc, i plan to powder coat mine in satin black, if i ever get around to doing it.

I have tried to get one off in a scrappy and it was a nightmare and not something i would ever attempt on my old car.
I can understand when you are getting the belts done and things as the rocker is off then but just to pop the caps, brake the seal all for powder coating is just hassle

Reaction score
Engine bay looking very smart & clean MarcR!

Liking the Trophy red theme, esp the airbox screws!
May be match the rocker in red too, you'll also then have a 'red top engine' :D

My initial reaction was the same as yours, may be match it with the gorgeous aluminium surrounding it!

Black would be best when filling engine with oil & would fit in with other parts of engine bay :up:

Last edited:

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I've done to mine, while doing the belts.

VHT Wrinkle Black

15963004528_550d7e5237_z.jpg

I was going to use that but its a silly price per tin and with getting this stuff cheap.

I am 75% going to be changing the colour to black

Reaction score
I like the black wrinkle! I painted the rocker of my mx5 with it and thought it looked good.
I have painted mine in capsicum red. It was a 2k paint and not vht IMAG1546.jpg- so I'll have to see how it holds up to the heat!IMAG1545.jpg

Last edited:

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I like the black wrinkle! I painted the rocker of my mx5 with it and thought it looked good.
I have painted mine in capsicum red. It was a 2k paint and not vht - so I'll have to see how it holds up to the heat!

View attachment 6988

View attachment 6989

Do you have any pictures of the car built back up ?
I have an engine cover over mine so you can't actually see it but none the less its cleaner.

Reaction score
Hi Marc,
I'm still in the middle of tidying it up. I have the gearbox support off at the moment and I'm going to paint it also. I tried getting the Turini anthracite colour to paint the upper engine mount and fuel rail but I couldn't get it because it's an Ixell colour. I read on Cliosport that Audi nimbus grey was a good match - so that's what I got. It doesn't match my wheels but they had been refurbed before I bought the car - so I don't know what colour they were painted.
I'll post more pics up as I go along

Reaction score
Finished painting the rocker cover and other bits. Looks good imho but I'll have to see how long it stays looking that way!
IMAG1560.jpg