Remove sachs for winter?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Does anyone do this? Is it worth it? I'm in Scotland and the car might get semi-regular use over the winter.

I've got a spare set of cup dampers and springs that I could have swapped over easily enough.

If so, is swapping out the front ones alone ok or is it best to do rear too?

Reaction score
If it means they go longer before needing a refurb then I'd say it's worth it.

If the act of removal, storage off the car then refitting increases the likelihood of failure then no.

Time to toss a coin?

Reaction score
If we get a snowy winter then yes. Lots of salt build up doesn't agree with them. Regular cleaning would be fine though. It is the pot holes after snow that is the problem. Three years ago was a nightmare.

Reaction score
Taking them off won't cause them to fail my friend...not unless you use a sledgehammer to remove them :)
It's certainly not going to hurt, and will give you a chance to give them a proper clean and seal. It only takes a few years of road use for the nicely powder coated finish to become a rust covered mess! Just remember to mark up the bolts if their camber adjustable.

Reaction score
Thats just anal IMO , ive had my clio since new 2005 used it daily in Scotland rain ,shine and snow and thats mine just in for there first refurb this week .
Stop worring about the suspension and enjoy the car the way its meant to be ......

Reaction score
I was thinking about putting some cup dampers on at some point this winter whilst sending the Sachs off for refurbishment - anyone got some lying around they want to sell, or know of somewhere decent (on price/service) to get a pair if not?