Rear Shocks - What is everyone running?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
About 2 years ago I got my hands on a set of unused original rear shocks and put them straight on the car. Over the weekend one has started to leak quite a lot of fluid.

I don’t fancy my chances of finding one at a reasonable price so was thinking of either putting the Koni adjustables or the standard cup shocks on there.

I understand the cup ones are very close to the originals but how close are the Konis when dialled in?

On another note the shock that is leaking was unused but had probably been stored for quite a long time. It does make me wonder whether the front shocks we bought in the group buy will go the same way. Has anyone been running them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ajracer

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
A dilemma we are all facing right now with a 16 year old car with an ever decreasing list of available new parts.
I have boxed up my original rear dampers, have a new old stock pair on the shelf( no idea if they will last 5 mins on the car).
The car is currently running a new set of cup dampers which are absolutely fine in conjunction with my recently rebuilt Sachs.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm currently still running original Sachs on the rear of No. 407 which were sourced and fitted back in 2016 by previous owner Ant - @Frp422 , luckily they still seem to be in fine fettle.

I think if they were to be replaced I'd personally probably pop on the 182 Cup items as I believe they are very similar.

On another note regarding storing the front Sachs off the car, in one of my many recent fairly in depth conversations with BG Motorsport about the construction, inner workings, materials etc of the dampers I was strongly advised only to refurbish the dampers when they are due to be fitted straight onto the car and be in use. Apparently they don't necessarily keep well off the car, with seals in particular suffering in dry storage! I was quite surprised by this revelation but they had a number of experiences to back up this advice, worth taking on board I thought.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of just one seal from a new Sachs damper.
If this is anything to go by I would be worried about the rest of them also if in storage.

I believe and I have heard that KY Jelly is a good thing, A lot of people have used it for window rubbers on older cars and frameless doors.

IMG_1932.JPG

Reaction score
If this is anything to go by I would be worried about the rest of them also if in storage.

I believe and I have heard that KY Jelly is a good thing, A lot of people have used it for window rubbers on older cars and frameless doors.

Hello Marc,
Can you please remove the o-ring and let us know the size of it?
Looking for this for a long time.
Regards

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I would but I no longer have new shocks as I sold them all.
I only have two pairs of used Sachs and they are pinned and im not pulling all the glue and pin out unfortunately

Reaction score
I would but I no longer have new shocks as I sold them all.
I only have two pairs of used Sachs and they are pinned and im not pulling all the glue and pin out unfortunately
I can understand .. thanks ;)

MichaelFozz

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.

View attachment 30157

Vaseline breaks down door rubbers over time, so avoid that if you can.

A common talking point in the detailing pages at this time of year as customers ask for it to stop door seals sticking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Trophy No.
About 2 years ago I got my hands on a set of unused original rear shocks and put them straight on the car. Over the weekend one has started to leak quite a lot of fluid.

I don’t fancy my chances of finding one at a reasonable price so was thinking of either putting the Koni adjustables or the standard cup shocks on there.

I understand the cup ones are very close to the originals but how close are the Konis when dialled in?

On another note the shock that is leaking was unused but had probably been stored for quite a long time. It does make me wonder whether the front shocks we bought in the group buy will go the same way. Has anyone been running them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I run the Koni's and love them. They feel OWM+ and work well with my de-pinned fronts on trackdays.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Still rocking the original rear springs on #189 and had a spare set of original rear dampers fitted around 2014/15. Car covered just over 150k

Attachments

• 20210116_193525.jpg
    20210116_193525.jpg
    638.4 KB · Views: 23