Reaction score
Apologies for bringing this up again but the recent spate of comments on suspension has prompted me to post.

As I see it there are three options for replacing Trophy rear dampers:

a) 182 Cup dampers (£65ish)
b) Renault/Sachs Trophy-specific dampers (£115ish)
c) Koni adjustable dampers (£110ish)

Is this a fair reflection on the options available? I assume the prices are per unit and not per pair?

If you've changed your rear dampers which option did you go for and what's your experience following the change? Would you recommend or dissuade people from making the same choice as you?

Thanks

Reaction score
Out of all 3 listed i currently have the standard sachs fitted but am looking into purchasing a set of koni's as there isn't much else out there thats worth the money other than standard again.

I would suggest to keep clear of cup rear dampers only from what i have heard is that they are different, i believe there is a post up on the forum somewhere regarding this.

Reaction score
I have Koni's on rear of mine & they are great. The fact many suspension manufacturers use Koni inserts & Abarth offer Koni FSD dampers as upgrades on the 500/Punto models and standard on the £38k + 500 Tributo model shows how high regard they are held.

Reaction score
IMO, i'd buy the Koni's just because they are well regarded as being very good! IIRC they are adjustable as well, unlike the SACH.

Don't quote me on that though!

Reaction score
I've been contemplating about putting my Trophy suspension back to standard. The ride is too stiff for normal Leicester roads and the car sort of skips over bumps when powering out of sharp turns instead of absorbing them. I thought I'd be doing alot more track days but that didn't work out to plan. Currently I have MF springs, Koni rears, front camber and hard setting dialed on both f & r dampers. I'll be putting up a for sale ad here once I've decided and the car will be going back to original spec.

Reaction score
I have to admit i have the mark fish springs and i find that on standard setting on the dampers there fine, when set to harder the car on normal roads seems to bounce and skip, however i have found that in the hotter weather we have had this summer if i set them one click down from standard there better, in colder weather i have them set on standard click and both settings seem to work well with the mark fish set up. I was contemplating on changing to eibach's as iv heard there slightly softer however i quite like the harder rear end of the mark fish springs if im honest and have got use to it.

I would suggest if your running mark fish springs on normal road use don't set them to hard just set them to standard. I also have a rear anti-roll bar fitted (not the whiteline a track developments one) but i have to say with that set to the second to hardest setting and shortened drop links it made a massive difference to handling, iv yet to have the back end out or the front to under steer on hard cornering in the dry it just seem to grip till im almost out the seat, next is the harnesses me thinks, in the wet though its a different ball game all together :D

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Only time I stiffen mine up is on track. For roads use the fronts and rears are just set as Renault and MF suggested. Since i took the STM's off i've not had any issues.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have the standard Koni rears also and have been happy so far. Has only been a couple of months and haven't messed around with the stiffness yet. Just left them how Mark fish recommended so far.

Reaction score
Anyone know if the softest setting on the Koni's is going to be softer, harder or about the same as the standard dampers? I definatly want to go back to the standard springs but may leave the dampers on if I can set them to be the same as the standard Sachs ones.

Reaction score
It seems to me a lot of people are replacing their rear dampers before they need to. The rear of the car is very light and there should not be much wear on them unless you drive over rough roads or on a circuit a lot. Obviously if they are leaking then you should. Mine have done 80 000 miles and appear to be ok. Does anybody have any information about when they should be replaced and have noticed the difference running on new ones, after all they aint cheap.

Reaction score
I think its the same principle as the front ones mate. Nothing official as to when to replace them, just if they are leaking or you get a lot of tram lining then that's the time to get them changed.

All you've got to do then is make the choice for originals or koni's.

Reaction score
All I can say is don't go for the cup dampers. I had some fitted to mine for a couple of weeks after Renault ordered and fitted the wrong parts and I had to wait for new Sachs ones to be shipped from France.
First corner I went round I thought I was going to end up on the roof!