Reaction score
Since we now know that Renault UK are now supplying Sachs Twingo R1 dampers (p/n: 77 111 67 414 and 77 111 67 413) as a replacement for the Trophy and are now charging £1400 each, I thought I would contact the official RenaultSport UK rally parts supplier to see how much they would supply these parts. Here is their reply:

Hi

Yes we do sell the dampers the price per damper is £634.64 if we received a few orders we may be able to offer a further discount but the margins on these are very tight.

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards

Nicky Finlayson
Company Secretary
Monster Sport Europe
2 Danbury Court
Linfordwood
Milton Keynes
Great Britain
MK14 6PL

I have replied back asking whether these parts will be covered by Renault's 12 month warranty and what sort of discount we could expect for orders of 5 pairs and 10 pairs so await their reply. What do you guys think? I've have my R1 dampers fitted and they ride pretty much identical to the original Sachs units and are better built. Anyone interested?

Reaction score
Im interested to see what kind of further discount is available,I have 5 of the originals here including two on the car and 4 are shot so any upgrade with a standard look is interesting.

That's better than BOGOF at retail prices.

Reaction score
Are these shocks more or less the same as the Original Trophy units? Ie damping etc?

Reaction score
Reaction score
Just as a flip side to this Ive just had my dampers fully rebuilt by BG this week for the first time having done 90k with them both shafts needed replacing one had gone right through the chrome. But he said he had seen worse I sent them as they came off the car so they cleaned them, removed and refitted the springs and fitted new solid top mounts. The bill was £711 including return carriage, which is still £560 cheaper than buying the R1 dampers at renaultsport rally's price. I asked Ben how long he expected them to last before needed a refurb, he said they do everything they can to make them last he said the first thing to go is the nitrogen pressure and that's why he's designed the double seal caps there fitting now. He said they should be better than they came out the factory and last 2-3 years, and that you should be only looking at a standard service costing around £400 in that time frame. Your talking new shafts when they've been left 6 or more years without a service. I think the we will be in the same situation with the R1 dampers in a few years time as we are with the Clio dampers now. I gotta say that I'm very pleased with the service I recieved from BG and going on what I have just said I would be happy to keep paying £400 every 2-3 years to keep them maintained.

Reaction score
Seems like a reasonable price from Monster Sport. I'm a bit dissapointed that the R1 dampers are not a bit stiffer and they are pinned. I was running the original Sachs a few clicks stiffer than standard with my Mark Fish springs. A shame but still ideal really.
Do we know if the BG rebuilds with new pistons are holding up? Hopefully now they've got to grips with all the problems with our dampers they will be more reliable.
Another thought. Who supplies the R2 dampers and how expensive are they?

Reaction score
I'd be in for a group buy, after being quoted £1980 by Wests and won't budge.

I'm in!

Reaction score
Ok, I have some more info on these dampers, but you're not going to like it....Monster-Sport have come back to me and the orignial price they quoted did not include VAT. So after VAT we're looking at £761.57 each but they are willing to give a 5% discount on orders of 5 or more pairs. Still substantially a lot cheaper than than the dealerships, in any case at least you now know there is one more option available for the Trophy's dampers. I guess this revised price may kill off any ideas of getting new dampers for some of you making the BG refurbs more attractive, but I least I threw it out there, hopefully enough of you are still interested to take advantage of the discount. Perhaps we could get Cliosport.net members in on this too, I would do it but I don't have access anymore to do that now. So still interested?

Reaction score
Thank you for all the info and all the effort in trying to help people, Jonc. It is very much appreciated.

Reaction score
I'd be in for a group buy, after being quoted £1980 by Wests and won't budge.

I'm in!

FYI

Monster buy the R1 dampers direct from Dieppe, whilst dealers buy from Renault UK. No dealer can match Monster's price.

Reaction score
Well I've put it out to members of Cliosport, so we'll have to wait to see if any of their members are interested.

Reaction score
Thank you for all the info and all the effort in trying to help people, Jonc. It is very much appreciated.

Aw shucks...no problem, nice to be appreciated. :D:up:

Reaction score
Eeek, sorry I can't justify that, maybe if the car was worth £10k.

Thanks for checking though :)

Reaction score
Well, no takers on Cliosport either. Sorry p55dud, looks like you are on your own, but at least you can get them a lot lot cheaper than from a Renault dealership.