Reaction score
Firstly, thanks to James & Tom at JMS, despite having to be on the Eurotunnel at 6am this morning, James was bleeding my brakes at midnight last night - mostly thanks to another of our friends bringing in a last minute brake related emergency/c0ck up i might add ... IR tired.

So, the work done:

•Compression Test - all fine, was pretty good across all cylinders apparently.
•Cambelt & Aux Belt change - had done 4 yrs/100k since the last one
•De-phaser Pulley - had finally started to rattle a bit after 174k
•Rocker Cover Reseal - was leaking, literally everywhere, i used a 5L can as top up.
•Pure Motorsport aircon delete - didnt work anyway, less weight, faster pickup?
•Coolant change & thermostat - again, had done 4 yrs/100k since last change
•New NGK PFR6E10’s - by the look of them, they had done 174k & were causing a misfire at 1.8k rpm. My solution was to simply keep it above that. James said i was a bad man.
•JMS Remap - already had RS inlets, so it seemed rude not to really, & i had already decided against the other, free option
•Bleed brakes - they've not been right since Donington
• Change pollen filter

In addition, to cure the whirring noise i was suffering at Donington, a new valeo alternator was fitted (exchange from GSF as the Renault item is now £400 lol), along with a new PAS pump - its been struggling occasionally of late, ie getting pretty heavy sporadically, so thought i might as well get that changed at the same time.

My thoughts? Its like a new car, obviously the whirring is no more, it idles perfectly & i dont need arms like Arnie to turn the wheel. Most importantly, the engine, oh the engine. No more hesitancy below 2k (from f*cked spark plugs), sounds wonderfully smooth (rattly de-phaser is gone) & it pulls like the proverbial train (partly due to a new Pipercross filter i guess, instead of an ITG that looked like it had been dragged through a lake. Obviously its been remapped, but having had a mapped clio before, id put the overall improvement down to a combination of the work done, along with the pièce de résistance, the Pure Motorsport Aircon Delete Kit ...

Not only does it add that little bit of shinyness to an otherwise average engine bay, but yes, it does make a really noticeable difference to the way the car drives. Obviously with all the other work that i've had done to the car, it would be silly to talk about power & speed, etc. But wat is noticeable is the improved eagerness to rev & lower inertia of the engine, a blip of the throttle really is a blip now, with it swinging round with an almost 'vtec' like quality.

James said that i would realy notice it the 1st time i heeled & toed, & i did when the revs jumped about 1.5k more than they usually would on a typical 4th to 3rd downshift.

So, in effect, i've had a lot of work done, spent a lot of money & ended up completely falling in love with my car again. Thanks guys. :twisted:

And now, some pics :approve:

Before (note the oily rocker cover):
1-1.jpg

After (clean rocker cover):
1a.jpg

Before (aircon stuff):
2-1.jpg

After (no aircon stuff):
2a.jpg

Minging old alternator, aircon stuff:
3.jpg

Shiny things:
3a.jpg

More shiny things (a great piece of kit):
4.jpg

Reaction score
Looks great Dave and not a bad price for what sounds like a noticable difference to the performance.

Definetly one to consider, thanks for posting this!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Good work!
I have a slight whir/whine on start up which I assumed was PAS pump? Do you have a rough price for this?

I was tempted by AC delete a couple of months ago when I was in hardcore mode (stripped rear).

But since puttin the rear seat and bonnet sound deadening back in it feels like an almost comfortable car again :)
Plus, after last summer I couldn't cope without AC. I'm sure the seats will be out again soon enough...

Reaction score
I know what you mean Aucky, I have rear seats out also but you can even here the rain on the inner arches!!

On that subject Dave I guess you have taken the Recaros out to save weight, what have you replaced then with??

Cheers,

Nick

Reaction score
aucky said:
I have a slight whir/whine on start up which I assumed was PAS pump? Do you have a rough price for this?

My whirring was pretty bad all the time to be honest, along with a smell of burning, so Fred @ BTM suggested the alternator had died at Donington. But we got to the JMS workshop and turned the steering wheel the PAS pump was making a racket as well, & almost stalling on full lock. It had also been getting heavy sporadically, so whilst all the belts were off, it made sense to just get both sorted.

Not sure on exact price for individual items, but the whole lot was entirely reasonable.

Nick.Greenwood said:
In that subject Dave I guess you have taken the Recaros out to save weight, what have you replaced then with??

Well, i went all luxurious for a little while, with this:
9aabeab1.jpg

But then got fed up having to use my knee against the transmission tunnel to stop me rolling onto the passenger seat on track days!! Oh, and i've saved about 20kg's per seat :shock:

Replaced the standard interior with some Bimarco Futuras, 4 point 3" OMP Harnesses and an 'OMP' steering wheel:

DSC04019.jpg
326fe8e5.jpg
00ff6edf.jpg

Reaction score
Jesus christ the recaros are heavy!

Bet the rear weighs sod all does it? Aucky does it make much difference with them out?

Reaction score
spank-it said:
What sub frames are you using Dave?

OMP subframes (complete with 6 washers on the gearbox side to level them out), with the standard 'Bimarco' side mounts modified to go forwards a bit more - as you probably noticed at Donington, im vertically chalenged ...

Reaction score
You know what, with all this work you may be able to do 150mph and give other exotica a run for it's money on the Autobahn's!!! :wink:

Reaction score
The changes sound good. What pulley is that?
I also changed my plugs last weekend to cure the low rev misfire. They looked pretty good but obviously needed changing as it's fine now.

Reaction score
wigstar1 said:
You know what, with all this work you may be able to do 150mph and give other exotica a run for it's money on the Autobahn's!!! :wink:

Oh yeah, i raced my mate in his M6 at the weekend and he couldnt get close!! I must have at least 250bhp now, much quicker as we approached 200mph down the autobahn :roll:

Re: the pulleys, the whole kit is from Pure Motorsport (the chap Colin Satchell is very well known in 106/saxo/205 circles, so decent piece of kit) and removes the aircon/replaces the various pulleys for shiny ones.

Can get it direct from them here:
http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/details.php?itemid=133

Or if you are on CS, from JMS here:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthre ... ge-(PH2-RS)