Reaction score
the standard back box (one of them) is leaking, bearing in mind only had it for 2 weeks, i looked at the MOT and its advised 'slight deterioration mid/back sections' so i went back to the place i bought it, they said 'take it to the garage', so i did. 'about 4-5 hrs we will need the car for', as you could imagine, i went a little bit mental! convo went as such...

me - why so long?
him - we are busy and have other work on.
M - there is a free ramp there, and 3 of you stood about doing nothing, will take 10 mins to have a look and see where it is leaking.
H - we need to weigh up what parts we will need or as to whether it can be patch welded.
M - patch welded over carbonised metal? are you sure it wont blow off in the near future because the metal is compromised?
H - (looking perplexed) well, i dont know. but i have welded hundreds and they have been fine.
M - would you weld your own?
H - nope.
M - sorted. ill be back on saturday morning then so you can have a look as i need the car and i didnt think it would take 4-5 hours to 'take a look'.

to say i was pi$$ed off is an understatement. i know garages are busy, but by christ, how long to have a look and decide?? does anyone else agree with me about the welding part?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well its 6 years old now and looking at the MOT description I suspect even if you have it welded the chances are it will spring another leak at some point and if you weigh the cost of repair over new it's probably time to start looking at new after market pipes.

Reaction score
its not me paying for the repair, the place i bought the car from are. ive been looking at aftermarket pipes but at the mo, they are out of my price range. eventually i will buy a system, just not yet

Reaction score
Agree totally - mine went the same way just after I bought it (and it threw up a cel for some reason) - unless you plan on keeping it for only a short while, it makes no odds financially whether you change the system now or in another 6 months (given that you have the cash available); the only certainty is that any welding will be purely a temporary fix. I'd change it now and enjoy the car's new found throaty voice (with an aftermarket system) 8)

Reaction score
wish i could, i will be getting some stainless in my life, but not until i find a physio job as sainsburys pay is worse than pants

Reaction score
If the garage you bought it from have to replace the system or at least the back box they will cry if they go to renault for one (complete system is between £1200-1500 IIRC).

Not sure what a crappy aftermarket mild steel system costs but I would suggest to them that an aftermarket stainless system (say a Scorpion RS192) is only £350 with a lifetime guarantee which might actualy save them money.

Alternatively, if they can get a mild steel system cheaper than that, find out how much they are paying and offer to pay the difference for a stainless one!

Reaction score
dezmondo said:
If the garage you bought it from have to replace the system or at least the back box they will cry if they go to renault for one (complete system is between £1200-1500 IIRC).

Alternatively, if they can get a mild steel system cheaper than that, find out how much they are paying and offer to pay the difference for a stainless one!

i like that idea :)

Reaction score
Is it definitely leaking? My mot has said there is deterioration to the rear silencers for the last two years but it doesn't blow.....from there at least.

Reaction score
Im guessing your claiming this under warranty with the garage you purchased it from? If so check your paperwork, im guessing if its a poor standard warranty and you wont have a leg to stand on as exhaust systems wont be covered.

One thing you can do however is get your money back for the car they have to offer that for any problems that occur during the first 3 months from purchase. You will however loose the money you may have already spent out on the vehicle.

If it was me and its only the outer casing thats gone then keep the car and get it done in 6 months time when you have the money to pay for it. The outer casing being deteriorated wont affect performance of the car its only when you get a blow on the exhaust itself or the baffles inside go that you will notice a power loss. These Clio's after 6 years since manufacture the standard exhausts will most likely be shot.

Reaction score
Dan493 said:
Is it definitely leaking? My mot has said there is deterioration to the rear silencers for the last two years but it doesn't blow.....from there at least.

yep, defo. both hands over both pipes and my hands aint being blown from the pipes, so its defo coming out somewhere.

the guys at the forecourt have agreed to do whatever is necessary (i used to deal with them years ago, i was once in the trade) which is handy. but i agree with you liam about the waiting part. i mean, eventually i will change them, its just a matter of money at the mo, but will the weld hold that time? i guess we might just be seeing if it does

Reaction score
update.

received and fitted today a spanking new scorpion 192. pretty impressed, although the old exhaust hangers/brackets are goosed and making it look lop-sided, so new brackets in 3 weeks. main thing, no more blowing!! and a noise that should have been factory spec =)